• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We added a Home and Home with...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, WWMJD said:

My issue with scheduling a series like this is you have nothing to gain, everything to lose. It is why schools like UF shy away from scheduling us.

Comparing us scheduling CMU to UF scheduling us is a great example of why it's been so hard to build this fanbase ... People, or animals, crapping on this series just don't get it.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Comparing us scheduling CMU to UF scheduling us is a great example of why it's been so hard to build this fanbase ... People, or animals, crapping on this series just don't get it.

How does that comparison relate in any way to the difficulty building a fanbase?

We look at CMU the same way UF, Texas, or other perennial powerhouse programs look at us - scheduling a team that they won't get any recognition for beating but could still come into your house and punch you in the mouth.

It sucks. I hate it. I think the power structure in college football is corrupt, selfish, and in many instances, foolish. But me pretending it doesn't exist won't build our fanbase any quicker. I think it's best for the program if: (1) G5 scheduling is essentially doormat material; and (2) when we schedule teams we will have to play well to beat, I would prefer them be P5 programs if possible.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

8 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

How does that comparison relate in any way to the difficulty building a fanbase?

We look at CMU the same way UF, Texas, or other perennial powerhouse programs look at us - scheduling a team that they won't get any recognition for beating but could still come into your house and punch you in the mouth.

It sucks. I hate it. I think the power structure in college football is corrupt, selfish, and in many instances, foolish. But me pretending it doesn't exist won't build our fanbase any quicker. I think it's best for the program if: (1) G5 scheduling is essentially doormat material; and (2) when we schedule teams we will have to play well to beat, I would prefer them be P5 programs if possible.

I would venture to guess that he was alluding to the opponent mattering. We should draw 40,000 plus regardless of the team lining up on the other side of the ball. 

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

I would venture to guess that he was alluding to the opponent mattering. We should draw 40,000 plus regardless of the team lining up on the other side of the ball. 

We agree on that. Best way for that to happen is for us to win. Win win win.

16 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Then "we" are delusional and this high falootin attitude is why some seem to think staying in the AAC is a death knell, when it's not.. UF, Texas, etc are presently at a different level than us, and may be for a long time. What has USF accomplished to put us so far over a program like CMU to draw the same comparison? 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

That was part of it .... but not the crux.

Just now, Triple B said:

Then "we" are delusional and this high falootin attitude is why some seem to think staying in the AAC is a death knell, when it's not.. UF, Texas, etc are presently at a different level than us, and may be for a long time. What has USF accomplished to put us so far over a program like CMU to draw the same comparison? 

If we are truly even with CMU as a football program, then we have much bigger problems than this series.

3 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

If we are truly even with CMU as a football program, then we have much bigger problems than this series.

Didn't say truly even .... but we are far closer to them as a football program than we are to UF right now.

Just now, Triple B said:

Didn't say truly even .... but we are far closer to them than we are to UF right now.

Not saying you're wrong, but that should not be the case.

Guest PCBull14
4 hours ago, WWMJD said:

Nobody is looking back at our schedule for the year and saying "they beat CMU, alright." We just disagree that people think CMU > Kansas. I think that is true only in the minds of a very few. For the vast majority of people looking back at a season's schedule, I believe a bottom feeder P5 school would still be looked at as a better W on the schedule than a no-name school (let's face it, CMU is that), even one who is having a reasonably good season. Name recognition matters in CFB. We can believe it doesn't, but that doesn't make it true.

What name recognition does Kansas carry in football? CMU is the right add, P5 schools don't even play four P5's out of conference. CMU is good program and obviously a great football team. I mean they did just knocked off a highly ranked B12 team on the road. I think Kansas also lost to a MAC team as well! #maction