• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How good is our coaching staff....really?

Guest PCBull14
14 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

To me the biggest thing is that the players have confidence and believe in the coaches and each other, just like Tom Allen said. Coaching isn't this incredible art form, but being a true leader of young men is. Taggart won these kids over last season and they have all bought in.....I expect BIG things the next 2 seasons, and beyond. We have athleticism (crazy good athleticism0 all over the field and really good depth (with the exception of DE). What we lacked under Skippy was heart. What we lacked under Leavitt was depth. This team now has both. 

Well said my friend. Well said.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

44 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Not very good, just look at Mike White blowing up after he transferred to WKU.

Mike White had over 400 yards in his first start with USF. He's got a more experienced offense to work with than he had here and there offensive scheme fits him better than ours does. Him blowing up after he transferred doesn't mean at all that our coaches are bad. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

5 hours ago, ToroDeFuego said:

"I do not think the scheme is anything special.  If there was a special scheme, everybody would be teaching the same thing.  It is way more important to coach a mentality.  I think it is more important to teach these kids to believe in themselves and the people around them.  They have got to make plays.  I have not tackled anyone in 24 years, not legally anyway."  - Tom Allen

1000% this.

The new scheme isn't what made the defense great, or everyone would be using it.

Heck, take Leavitt for example.  Ran the typical 4-3 defense.  But his players would run through brick walls on broken legs for him.  That's a big piece of what make defenses great. 

And those players Taggart has been bringing in are getting that mentality.  And I'll say these players are willing to run through those walls for Taggart, not (just) for Allen or Woodie. 

On top of this you have (IMO) better quality recruit/players being brought in than what Taggart had to start with.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Taggart is creating something new here, the "gulf coast" offense. An average defense with last years offensive production we will be fine. It really is Taggart driving, see the difference in year 2 to year 3 in the offensive scheme and playbook. I think as long as Taggart keeps the program focused on the schemes that work given our players, that the rest of the staff is less important. What is more important is that everyone is on board with the leadership and that th leadership is directing focus on the right things. I think last year Taggart showed us he changed his focus to the right things. 

The gulf coast offense will be a force. To me, the gulf coast offense is a run heavy spread with elegant blocking schemes and versatile formations. Successful runs lead to cheating defense and then open receivers near the outside. we really don't know what it yet since it's only had 1 season of development and with a  rookie QB. 

I think we can expect opponents to be better prepared with a full season of game film, but we will also have a more experienced QB and coaching staff. 

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I think the defense will be just fine. We also picked up John Jancek who used to be the DC at Cincy then Tennessee. He will be coaching the Safeties here. And if you compare the resumes of Woodie and Allen, they really aren't much different, just Allen moved around more and Woodie was a HS head football coach for 13 years before getting into College coaching when Taggart brought him to WKU. USF was Allen's biggest job in terms of responsibility and play calling so don't get hung up on the perceived "lack of experience"

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Be AGGRESSIVE, B E AGGRESSIVE 

A G G R E S S I V E 

And be MORE AGGRESSIVE 

had to go back to those cheers I used to hear from high school 

I remember coach would hear that cheer and he would remember that he had a bunch of athletes and we would go into full court man to man and next thing we knew we would go on a 12 to 2 run. Sometimes coaches forget what got them to the party. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

8 hours ago, Dogma said:

1000% this.

The new scheme isn't what made the defense great, or everyone would be using it.

Heck, take Leavitt for example.  Ran the typical 4-3 defense.  But his players would run through brick walls on broken legs for him.  That's a big piece of what make defenses great. 

And those players Taggart has been bringing in are getting that mentality.  And I'll say these players are willing to run through those walls for Taggart, not (just) for Allen or Woodie. 

On top of this you have (IMO) better quality recruit/players being brought in than what Taggart had to start with.

In fairness, I remember USF players blowing up in excitement on twitter after Woodie got the promotion. I think they were genuinely excited and happy for him to get the promotion. They will run through a wall for Woodie too I think. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

13 hours ago, mark_my_words said:

Mike is lucky he made it out of here without getting his foot broken.

:roflmao: