• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How good is our coaching staff....really?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm a little skeptical too. I'd feel a whole lot better if our coaches worked at places like FSU, Notre Dame, and South Carolina before coming to USF.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Only thing that does have me worried is a split OC. Not sure how that works..I guess we find out tomorrow. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

8 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Only thing that does have me worried is a split OC. Not sure how that works..I guess we find out tomorrow. 

Maybe OCs are like chicks. We can't all have a 10, but two 5's is still a fun night.

• Upvote 3

Guest PCBull14
5 hours ago, BULLZ said:

So while many of us are expecting this year to be a way better year we may also be forgetting that the turnover from last years staff may cause a drop off in production.

Tom Allens defense tonight for Indiana had 2 pick sixes against FIU, will we be able to replicate the same defensive production under Woodie?? I don't think so but I could be wrong

You're in impressed that a Big Ten school beat FIU? Wow, that is some result right there! From what I saw it wasn't that impressive of a performance. Indiana is expected to have that result. Check back with me  after October 1, 2016. You know since they don't play anyone until then. Would you be happy trialing FIU 13-12 heading into the fourth?

5 hours ago, BULLZ said:

Danny hope last years off coordinator is gone. We now have Hiller the o line coach and TJ weist the wr coach splitting duties of OC. I like Hiller as an O line coach, Weists resume is blah having nothing impressive, I think interim head coach at UConn was the highlight when pasqualoni was fired, so I don't even think you can all that a highlight.

Taggart's resume is blah with nothing impressive on it either. But somehow he will the best coach the program has ever had. Already is in my opinion, but that's up for debate.  I'm so tired of talking about this offense and how it's going to function. Over the summer they took trips just to add WRINKLES to the offense. CWT is all in with this thing, he had his hand in the pot last season. He tasted what this thing can be and won't stop until its perfected.  We'll be just fine. I expect improvement like we saw last year. 

5 hours ago, BULLZ said:

Just for kicks I went and looked at Houstons staff and their respective resumes,

Half of them were coaches at TEXAS or Ohio State! That's a big difference than WKU holdovers or a Shaun King who was a team Tampa coach...no offense!

Everyone is in love with Houston and I can't wait for y'all to eat your words. This staff has always had Western Kentucky coaches on it and no seemed to care before. Now all of a sudden we're expect to have a staff filled with Blue Blood failures lol. I'd rather have a staff that gets results and develops players over a Texas failure looking for new stepping stone. 

5 hours ago, BULLZ said:

So what do you guys think about our staff? Are we mediocre, or do we just have a lot of up and comers?

And my biggest question, Will Woodie be able to put the same product on the field that Tom Allen did?????

Definitely interested in hearing people's thoughts on the staff.

We aren't mediocre do we have guys that need to prove themselves? Yes,  but this is not Skippy Idiot's Merry Friends world. Taggart may know some of these guys personally, but if you don't produce you're gone. New expectations here boys. Get with it or get out!

All Tom Allen did was do the opposite of what Chuck did. It's easy to improve when you let your fast players blitz and attack. I also saw many times when Tom Allen's defense could have cost us some close games. Sometimes attacking with terrible coverage alignment that had me shaking my head. We neglected to bring that up though. If I can see it from my seat I would hope he could as well. Woodie needs to find the balance and I expect him to. These assistants seem to want it and not just be there knowing they won't get fired like under Skippy Love All. Give me a hug, get'm next year champ!

#putonforyourcity #baymade #baystayed #isitseptemberthirdyet #overit #letsplayball #whiptowsonsass

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

You're in impressed that a Big Ten school beat FIU? Wow, that is some result right there! From what I saw it wasn't that impressive of a performance. Indiana is expected to have that result. Check back with me  after October 1, 2016. You know since they don't play anyone until then. Would you be happy trialing FIU 13-12 heading into the fourth?

Taggart's resume is blah with nothing impressive on it either. But somehow he will the best coach the program has ever had. Already is in my opinion, but that's up for debate.  I'm so tired of talking about this offense and how it's going to function. Over the summer they took trips just to add WRINKLES to the offense. CWT is all in with this thing, he had his hand in the pot last season. He tasted what this thing can be and won't stop until its perfected.  We'll be just fine. I expect improvement like we saw last year. 

Everyone is in love with Houston and I can't wait for y'all to eat your words. This staff has always had Western Kentucky coaches on it and no seemed to care before. Now all of a sudden we're expect to have a staff filled with Blue Blood failures lol. I'd rather have a staff that gets results and develops players over a Texas failure looking for new stepping stone. 

We aren't mediocre do we have guys that need to prove themselves? Yes,  but this is not Skippy Idiot's Merry Friends world. Taggart may know some of these guys personally, but if you don't produce you're gone. New expectations here boys. Get with it or get out!

All Tom Allen did was do the opposite of what Chuck did. It's easy to improve when you let your fast players blitz and attack. I also saw many times when Tom Allen's defense could have cost us some close games. Sometimes attacking with terrible coverage alignment that had me shaking my head. We neglected to bring that up though. If I can see it from my seat I would hope he could as well. Woodie needs to find the balance and I expect him to. These assistants seem to want it and not just be there knowing they won't get fired like under Skippy Love All. Give me a hug, get'm next year champ!

#putonforyourcity #baymade #baystayed #isitseptemberthirdyet #overit #letsplayball #whiptowsonsass

I agree with this post. We have the players that can make plays and it's not like our staff is incapable. 

We just need to put on a show against Towson and go 1-0 every week. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, ToroDeFuego said:

"I do not think the scheme is anything special.  If there was a special scheme, everybody would be teaching the same thing.  It is way more important to coach a mentality.  I think it is more important to teach these kids to believe in themselves and the people around them.  They have got to make plays.  I have not tackled anyone in 24 years, not legally anyway."  - Tom Allen

I think this is exactly what I have been seeing in the games as well.  

Don't get me wrong, I like Allen and he was an upgrade over Meatloaf but he had a lot of talent to work with.  They needed to have a fire lit under them and he did that but he was no X's and O's genius.

Our D needs to play with a chip on their shoulder and I think Woodie can make that happen.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

13 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

It's gunna be sooooooo mad

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

wasn't that Indiana game suppose to be against us, but they cancelled?

Edited by 2000bull

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

For the most part our coaching staff seems to have been in the game a long time and appear to be good teachers. With Taggart calling the plays, good teachers on offense is what is needed. 

Although we don't have that "big name" coordinator, I like the experience on the staff.  Don't sell Weist's experience short. He was a co offensive coordinator on Butch Jones' U of Cinci teams.

The jury is still out on what Woodie can do as a DC, but he does have a pretty experienced guy on his defensive staff that, no one really talks about. Jancek was a DC at Georgia, U of Cinci and at Tennessee. 

Let's face it, unless a coordinator is part of a championship team, the hot commodity of the day, or gets his shot at being a head coach, the vast majority of fans never know their names until after they have done something big. 

Before becoming a DC at USF, Tom Allen's only other DC gig was at Drake  not known as a defensive powerhouse in any league.  

As we start the season I feel good about the coaching staff.  My concern will be how well they can make adjustments in close games.  

We shall see  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If we win 10+ game they're geniuses. If we win less than 9 they're morons. I think that's how it works.

• Upvote 1