• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How good is our coaching staff....really?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

So while many of us are expecting this year to be a way better year we may also be forgetting that the turnover from last years staff may cause a drop off in production.

Tom Allens defense tonight for Indiana had 2 pick sixes against FIU, will we be able to replicate the same defensive production under Woodie?? I don't think so but I could be wrong

Danny hope last years off coordinator is gone. We now have Hiller the o line coach and TJ weist the wr coach splitting duties of OC. I like Hiller as an O line coach, Weists resume is blah having nothing impressive, I think interim head coach at UConn was the highlight when pasqualoni was fired, so I don't even think you can all that a highlight.

All the other guys Alonzo Hampton DBs, Donte Pimpleton RBs, and a few others are holdovers from WKU....nothing really impresses me there.

Just for kicks I went and looked at Houstons staff and their respective resumes,

Half of them were coaches at TEXAS or Ohio State! That's a big difference than WKU holdovers or a Shaun King who was a team Tampa coach...no offense!

i think a real bright spot about our staff is we got great recruiters! Woodie,Taggart, now David Kelly, I think on that side the staff is strong.

I also REALLY like Joe Kinnan as our offensive consultant!! I think he has improved our offense leaps and bounds with his wrinkles, if it has been his doing!

So what do you guys think about our staff? Are we mediocre, or do we just have a lot of up and comers?

And my biggest question, Will Woodie be able to put the same product on the field that Tom Allen did?????

Definitely interested in hearing people's thoughts on the staff.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  334
  • Days Won:  0

Oh boy. Can't wait to see the responses on this one :popcorn:

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

And Orlando Antigua was John Caliper's right hand man at Kentucky. Pretty impressive, right? How far did that get us?

Edited by ToroDeFuego
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

"I do not think the scheme is anything special.  If there was a special scheme, everybody would be teaching the same thing.  It is way more important to coach a mentality.  I think it is more important to teach these kids to believe in themselves and the people around them.  They have got to make plays.  I have not tackled anyone in 24 years, not legally anyway."  - Tom Allen

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

My biggest question mark regarding the staff is Woodie at DC.  Does he have the chops to build off of what Allen started?  Can he motivate?  Can he make the right the call at the right time? We will find out soon enough.

Go Bulls!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

4 hours ago, BULLZ said:

So while many of us are expecting this year to be a way better year we may also be forgetting that the turnover from last years staff may cause a drop off in production.

Tom Allens defense tonight for Indiana had 2 pick sixes against FIU, will we be able to replicate the same defensive production under Woodie?? I don't think so but I could be wrong

Danny hope last years off coordinator is gone. We now have Hiller the o line coach and TJ weist the wr coach splitting duties of OC. I like Hiller as an O line coach, Weists resume is blah having nothing impressive, I think interim head coach at UConn was the highlight when pasqualoni was fired, so I don't even think you can all that a highlight.

All the other guys Alonzo Hampton DBs, Donte Pimpleton RBs, and a few others are holdovers from WKU....nothing really impresses me there.

Just for kicks I went and looked at Houstons staff and their respective resumes,

Half of them were coaches at TEXAS or Ohio State! That's a big difference than WKU holdovers or a Shaun King who was a team Tampa coach...no offense!

i think a real bright spot about our staff is we got great recruiters! Woodie,Taggart, now David Kelly, I think on that side the staff is strong.

I also REALLY like Joe Kinnan as our offensive consultant!! I think he has improved our offense leaps and bounds with his wrinkles, if it has been his doing!

So what do you guys think about our staff? Are we mediocre, or do we just have a lot of up and comers?

And my biggest question, Will Woodie be able to put the same product on the field that Tom Allen did?????

Definitely interested in hearing people's thoughts on the staff.

I'm in no way a football guru but I don't think Tom Allen was that hot. He looked a lot better than what he was because of who he took over after. We went from a sit back and wait defense (which was on display at Ucif this past year), to an aggressive one. That's it... 

As long as we stay aggressive I don't see a drop off at all. These young men know how to play the game. As long as they are put in a position to succeed, they will. As a result, everyone around then we'll look like geniuses. 

As for resumes, you don't know how great someone is until they're finished. Every coach was a nobody at some point in their career. I don't need/want a pedigree, I want results. That's when we will know what our coaches and players are made of. Some of the worst coaches brush elbows with the best... IJS 

Edited by TromBull12
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

It's a fair point...always tough to tell how coaching turnover might affect a team.  I think promoting from within will help with that transition, though.  And the scheme is pretty much the same too.

One thing to remember about guys who used to be at Texas, etc....if they were really good they'd still be there.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

All we need is stay aggressive on both offense and defense...do that and our athleticism will shine.

If defense goes back to 10+ yard cushions and no blitzs ever and I'll be worried.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

Maybe we can give this guy a look.  Solid resume.  We might have to lock him up for two years at a time:

1983 Virginia Tech (SA)
1984 Minnesota (GA)
1985–1988 Wisconsin–Oshkosh (DC)
1989 SE Missouri St. (DC)
1990 UNLV (LB)
1991 Minnesota (DL)
1992–1994 Illinois (LB)
1995 Illinois (AHC/LB)
1996 Illinois (DC/BB)
1997 Maryland (LB/RC)
1998 Michigan State (DC)
1999–2002 South Carolina (LB)