• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good read: media and AAC/Big12

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, jasonb56 said:

This simply tells me that USF and UCF were not chosen by the Big 12.

In a previous article it was pointed out that Florida is worth 80 million a year in subscribers fees for current cable households. Now Florida's population is growing and so is it's value. ESPN doesn't want competition in Florida.

Fox will fight to enter Florida and enter it's markets.

The Houston market is already jointly served by Fox and ESPN as well as the Colorado and Utah markets. Colorado (PAC), Colorado State and AIr Force (MWC), Utah  (PAC),  BYU (independent), Utah State (MWC) being owned by ESPN. These give Fox and ESPN nothing.

Now Fox wants eastern markets which will give them greater national coverage. ESPN will fight to give Fox as little as possible. While Fox will fight to expand and could reach an agreement with ESPN for their purported lost market shares. The Big 12 has chosen teams with little or no value to either network.

To court they may go but, I think they'll reach a compromise with USF and UCF getting in. That's just my humble opinion.

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

I haven't had cable for over two years now, haven't missed it once, and would still drop $200 for a year of USF sports.  Even for games I don't watch, it'd make for good background noise and I constantly have something playing.  I'm kind of a scrooge and I'd do it in a second.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

not looking good for i 4 corridor

i havent had cable since the the 80s

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Same here. 

But believe it or not, the new model isn't going to work for USF right now as we don't have the fan base. If Alabama or LSU or USC go with this model and have people dropping $200 for an all sports membership, their revenues will be $100M-200M a year because they simply have that kind of fan base.

You ask USF sports to go with that model. Assume for a minute all our STMs buy it (that's 10k at a minimum). 10k times 200 is $2M a year, which is certainly not any better than what we're doing now, and we have live TV access right now. 

You have to build that kind of fan base-and the new model isn't going to help us until we have such a fan base because it's far more subject to market forces. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,741
  • Days Won:  3

You have to build that kind of fan base-and the new model isn't going to help us until we have such a fan base because it's far more subject to market forces. 

Yep...we need sold out stadiums week in, week out regardless of record. Being honest, I think that's quite a way down the road. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

We can always build a miniature stadium like some others have done and fill that one! :icon_drink:

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

We can always build a miniature stadium like some others have done and fill that one! :icon_drink:

Nah not yet... We gotta see them new fancy Jumbo boards at Ray jay first... Maybe they will let us in just because of that!