• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Local Media Support

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Fennelly is a bad writer.  He thinks he's Hemingway with his six-word paragraphs.     Media people think he's clever, but he actually belongs in a much smaller market than this one.  What's worse is I can't even get away from him.  The Times had to go and hire him, and now JK feels the need to retweet his sorry ass.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

38 minutes ago, JTrue said:

And everyone is missing the most important point. JK is terrible at his job.

It's not JK's job to tout USF.  It's his job to report USF news, be it good or bad.  He reports news and he's doing an ok job of that.  Personally, I liked Auman's reporting a little better, but JK is doing fine.  I'd like him to dig a little more and report on what actual steps USF is taking, rather than just report that USF is working behind the scenes, but oh well.

Fennelly on the other hand, is a columnist and expresses opinion to get readers and generate interest in his columns.  I'm sure he's read Bianchi's column.  I'm also sure he knows full well that everything Bianchi said about UCF, the same exact thing could be said about USF.  He actually does have the latitude to express USF's point of view if he thought it was valid and it would solicit responses and generate readers, but for whatever reason, he has chosen to take the more negative view of the situation, where as Bianchi has taken the more pro UCF view in his columns.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

8 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

It's not JK's job to tout USF.  It's his job to report USF news, be it good or bad.  He reports news and he's doing an ok job of that.  Personally, I liked Auman's reporting a little better, but JK is doing fine.  I'd like him to dig a little more and report on what actual steps USF is taking, rather than just report that USF is working behind the scenes, but oh well.

Fennelly on the other hand, is a columnist and expresses opinion to get readers and generate interest in his columns.  I'm sure he's read Bianchi's column.  I'm also sure he knows full well that everything Bianchi said about UCF, the same exact thing could be said about USF.  He actually does have the latitude to express USF's point of view if he thought it was valid and it would solicit responses and generate readers, but for whatever reason, he has chosen to take the more negative view of the situation, where as Bianchi has taken the more pro UCF view in his columns.  

I'm not looking for JK to blow smoke for USF. Let's say Greg was a 10, obviously, JK is a 4 tops. He brings absolutely nothing to the table in terms of breaking news, insight, humor... I haven't seen any grammatical errors, so there's that.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

^ Here's the thing: Auman did the same job that JK is doing now.  However, he did it extremely well (in terms of substance), even bad news, without ever making me feel he was taking a dig at USF.  

On the other hand, in subtle ways JK communicates (at least to me) that he'd rather be doing something else than reporting on USF - maybe because he thinks the USF beat is beneath him?  I don't want to be unfair, but one can report on a school in a positive way without becoming a cheerleader.  I know it can be done because Auman did it.  JK does not.

Edited by TallyBull
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

^ Here's the thing: Auman did the same job that JK is doing now.  However, he did it extremely well (in terms of substance), even bad news, without ever making me feel he was taking a dig at USF.  

On the other hand, in subtle ways JK communicates (at least to me) that he'd rather be doing something else than reporting on USF - maybe because he thinks the USF beat is beneath him?  I don't want to be unfair, but one can report on a school in a positive way without becoming a cheerleader.  I know it can be done because Auman did it.  JK does not.

This.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Has anyone ever considered that Orlando only has the Magic for its reporters to write about? 

Or that Tampa is a major sports city and the reporters and columnists focus on the pro teams above all?

That is why USF only garners third-rate coverage from its newspaper.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Has anyone ever considered that Orlando only has the Magic for its reporters to write about? 

Or that Tampa is a major sports city and the reporters and columnists focus on the pro teams above all?

That is why USF only garners third-rate coverage from its newspaper.

I would never have considered these points, but since you have a Donor badge, I'm willing to give it some thought.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Well, the thread was already saturated with those points, I figured another statement along those lines would really drive the point home.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Auman clearly had the depth, and actually cared enough about the school to know the history. So his articles had a flavor of caring about USF. He still reported the bad stuff and even showed a little disgust from time to time--but from an invested point of view. JK does okay at reporting the bigger stuff about USF, but his perspective pieces sound too shallow--I perceive little investment in USF except for the occasional focus pieces, but they're more the exception than the rule. [steps off soapbox].

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

20 hours ago, Triple B said:

That someone was one incredibly astute dude ... Orlando is really just a glorified college town with roller coasters and killer whales. Local critics here have plenty of truly big time sports to bash away at, O-town one, and they couldn't care less if USF makes the jump or not.

Cmon now. You're totally discounting the Predators and Solar Bears. OCS has actually become a thing too. I would say most of the local sports talk here is:

Magic

National stories

UF, FSU

OCS

UCF

Others

In that order.