• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

History - Big East Expansion 2003

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

9 hours ago, Rizman said:

How many remember back in 2003 when Virginia Tech, Miami, and Boston College bolted from the Big East for the ACC?   My question is was USF fans clamoring for USF at the time to move to the Big East and out of Conference USA?   We should look back at the articles and see how we were able to position ourselves over UCF.   They had been playing longer and did not get an invite.  Clearly Judy was able to position us over other schools .

UCF was fully expecting the invite, and was shocked and horrified to get passed over in favor of USF.  I had actually sent Bianchi of the Slantinel a letter (email, I think) explaining why USF had surpassed UCF and would get into the Big East.  He posted it and in his response basically laughed at how wrong I was and there was no way USF would get in above UCF.   :lmao:

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Speaking of help, wouldn't be nice if Renu Khator, former USF Provost under Prez Judy and current Houston president, lobbies for our inclusion if they get nominated?

She will, if it comes to that.  Their is a lot of politicking and back scratching going on in this process.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Speaking of help, wouldn't be nice if Renu Khator, former USF Provost under Prez Judy and current Houston president, lobbies for our inclusion if they get nominated?

3930780.jpg

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Those pre Big East days were fun. For the record, this site posted a lot of information at the request of Athletics.  They felt like old TBP might be looked at by interested parties so we'd better dress nice. 

So be on your best behavior. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  2,328
  • Content Count:  21,278
  • Days Won:  10

I miss the big east.  The vibe was different than the AAC.   

16 hours ago, Rizman said:

How many remember back in 2003 when Virginia Tech, Miami, and Boston College bolted from the Big East for the ACC?   My question is was USF fans clamoring for USF at the time to move to the Big East and out of Conference USA?   We should look back at the articles and see how we were able to position ourselves over UCF.   They had been playing longer and did not get an invite.  Clearly Judy was able to position us over other schools .

We had an inside man: Tom Jurich.

But the bigger thing was the choice was a shock to a lot of media because USF didn't issue public statements such as "There ought to be a place for us" ... USF's team at the time worked completely behind the scenes.

Which is why I am not upset that we don't see USF tripping all of themselves in the media unlike a number of other schools.  It also means that reporters don't talk about us, or downplay our impact.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

12 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

We had an inside man: Tom Jurich.

But the bigger thing was the choice was a shock to a lot of media because USF didn't issue public statements such as "There ought to be a place for us" ... USF's team at the time worked completely behind the scenes.

Which is why I am not upset that we don't see USF tripping all of themselves in the media unlike a number of other schools.  It also means that reporters don't talk about us, or downplay our impact.

That is the reason why I can never hate Louisville. Jurich helped USF get to a BCS conference. 

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

I was more happy UCF got left out than I was happy USF made it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

9 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

I was more happy UCF got left out than I was happy USF made it.

uh...no. It was funny that they took our old spot in the CUSA though.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

On July 22, 2016 at 0:01 PM, Ricky the Bull said:

I tweeted at her and said when UH gets one of the invites, don't forget about USF. Crossing my fingers it worked.