• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The three-headed trio of Quinton Flowers, Marlon Mack, and Rodney Adams is arguably the best in the country

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

As stupid as this is going to sound, it makes me ecstatic that our S&C coach is tracking this season over season. Holtz's old S&C coach, Golden, didn't bother tracking. Piss poor recruiting locally and really inefficient S&C did us in.

Didn't we argue over this a couple years ago when our players were setting new personal bests in the weight room? Doesn't that imply they were being tracked? Or was just lifting something once enough to count as a personal best when you have nothing to go by?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

11 hours ago, JTrue said:

Didn't we argue over this a couple years ago when our players were setting new personal bests in the weight room? Doesn't that imply they were being tracked? Or was just lifting something once enough to count as a personal best when you have nothing to go by?

I don't think Golden tracked the players' 40-times. Personal bests in the weight room, he did. It was an odd, dark time for USF football.

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

20 hours ago, Calibull said:

I don't know... I'm looking at Coach Carnes instagram of the guys lifting... and there are some elite level lifts going on by guys I didn't expect.  Guys from skilled positions power cleaning more than 300 pounds.  Cecil Cherry power cleaned 365 lbs... I lift... I've power lifted... that is impressive weight.  Dillon power cleaning 335... Also guys clocking faster times in the 40.  There is something serious going on behind the scenes at USF that I don't think are being factored in.  This team to me looks poised to make a jump.  The base of any program in S&C... what is going on at USF is they have developed an elite level S&C program.  That's the one thing I've really followed this offseason and I am totally impressed.  I mean I'm actually pretty blown away.

It's speaks to the program's  culture in place at that time. A former player, and starter, referred to it being like having a substitute teacher. Nobody was being held accountable for anything..... 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,453
  • Days Won:  25

21 hours ago, TheUpperHand said:

Great point. S&C arguable underrated by the average fan.

Drives me nuts when we lose a game in the 4th because they're in better shape than we are. Especially here, where we're supposed to have an advantage.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

It's speaks to the program's  culture in place at that time. A former player, and starter, referred to it being like having a substitute teacher. Nobody was being held accountable for anything..... 

The question is, where was the program's culture actually coming from at that time? Holtz has a winning record as a head coach at his other 3 stops. Were the assistants he had here that much worse than his other staffs when it came to accountability?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The question is, where was the program's culture actually coming from at that time? Holtz has a winning record as a head coach at his other 3 stops. Were the assistants he had here that much worse than his other staffs when it came to accountability?

All speculation on my part, but I think he had terrible assistants here. Holtz isn't a particularly strong coach, and he's a great "figurehead." He pooped the bed, while here, and I think he banked on his last name getting him much better responses from local recruits.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,963
  • Days Won:  469

Not Holtz ....

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

7 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

All speculation on my part, but I think he had terrible assistants here. Holtz isn't a particularly strong coach, and he's a great "figurehead." He pooped the bed, while here, and I think he banked on his last name getting him much better responses from local recruits.

The only reason he got the job was because of his last name.  I hate that guy

Edited by Calibull
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

8 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Yeah, but I think the speculation is somewhat founded. He wasn't a terrible coach, but floundered with recruiting talent here and with game planning/game adjusting. The latter became clear to me with the turtle-ball we played several times only to lose to the hungrier team in the end. Except ND, which I'll always appreciate him for. But IMO if it weren't for BJD, I'm not sure CSH would have lasted as long as he did--FL just not his niche. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

10 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

2 hours ago, Calibull said:

The only reason he got the job was because of his last name.  I hate that guy

Yeah, that was the only reason ...... :facepalm: