• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Makes the "Big 4" critics less nasty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Will we get rings if we beat Florida st and UCF, and those two teams beat their florida schools? Or better yet, will we WANT state titles? I think we should aim a little higher than that

i know as its come up again and again but football is full of traditions at many older, established programs. Like the Commander In Chief trophy between the service academies. Some rivalries have axes or a boot or a cannon or kegs or jugs or other trinkets they swap based on a yearly game. It's not a conference or championship but instead tradition that the parties involved usually care about and outsiders scratch their heads.  Being on the outside looking in, it's understandable why it's given little accord by USF fans. But to those involved they usually do look forward to the rivalry. 

And I expect no, USF wouldn't, it's not part of the tradition and it's not a school that's son a NC.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

18 hours ago, Brad said:

The mighty Florida State Seminoles get rings because they "won the state" with wins over Florida, Miami and USF?  Ha... sounds like we're back in the Big 4. 

:roflmao:

While Florida State didn't win the ACC, or the Peach Bowl, what it did do was beat USF, Miami and Florida during the regular season. That's a 3-0 record against schools from Florida, and you know what that means, don't you?

State championship.

CBSSports.com story

Given that logic, I am glad they played us last year and not FAMU.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, slick1ru2 said:

i know as its come up again and again but football is full of traditions at many older, established programs. Like the Commander In Chief trophy between the service academies. Some rivalries have axes or a boot or a cannon or kegs or jugs or other trinkets they swap based on a yearly game. It's not a conference or championship but instead tradition that the parties involved usually care about and outsiders scratch their heads.  Being on the outside looking in, it's understandable why it's given little accord by USF fans. But to those involved they usually do look forward to the rivalry. 

And I expect no, USF wouldn't, it's not part of the tradition and it's not a school that's son a NC.

Yeah and I respect those rivalries and traditions, but the Florida Cup was a real thing and UF rarely plays Miami anymore; so really only FSU has a chance to "claim" that "championship." That's where the hilarity lies. I wonder though with that logic, if USF were to beat FSU this year and they still beat UF and Miami would they still claim the "State Championship?" 

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

16 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

Yeah and I respect those rivalries and traditions, but the Florida Cup was a real thing and UF rarely plays Miami anymore; so really only FSU has a chance to "claim" that "championship." That's where the hilarity lies. I wonder though with that logic, if USF were to beat FSU this year and they still beat UF and Miami would they still claim the "State Championship?" 

Not "IF"  but when we beat them this year.   Go Bulls!

Edited by Dhambuc
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

11 hours ago, slick1ru2 said:

Those traditions are very cool and I'm sure most had interesting beginnings ..... but it's not something that you can force (see the Civil Conflict). The more history we have with certain teams, the more the possibility of something in that regard occurring organically.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'd like to start by winning the AAC a few times.

32 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I'd like to start by winning the AAC a few times.

I'd like to start by winning the AAC once ...

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Those traditions are very cool and I'm sure most had interesting beginnings ..... but it's not something that you can force (see the Civil Conflict). The more history we have with certain teams, the more the possibility of something in that regard occurring organically.

What I was saying, since USF doesn't have any football rival traditions it's easy to understand views expressed here on how something like FSU winning the state cup is silly. I'd imagine FSU football fans are glad they won it and UF and Miami fans/team would like to win it next year. At one time, it obviously meant more to those schools/alumni when all three were true NC contenders.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 hours ago, slick1ru2 said:

What I was saying, since USF doesn't have any football rival traditions it's easy to understand views expressed here on how something like FSU winning the state cup is silly. I'd imagine FSU football fans are glad they won it and UF and Miami fans/team would like to win it next year. At one time, it obviously meant more to those schools/alumni when all three were true NC contenders.

I spent the weekend with several friends who are FSU alumns and none of of them brought it up when we were talking sports. Even when we were hanging out with a UF fan and there was plenty of ribbing and banter going on. 

5 hours ago, slick1ru2 said:

What I was saying, since USF doesn't have any football rival traditions it's easy to understand views expressed here on how something like FSU winning the state cup is silly.

*sigh* ... I missed the state cup that was awarded. Just saw some purty rings that I'd imagine the only one who really cares about them is the jeweler who made the sale.

I'd imagine FSU football fans are glad they won it and UF and Miami fans/team would like to win it next year.

So if both Florida and Miami go undefeated in state next year who wins it? I'm guessing it would be Miami since they would have beaten FSU, FAU and FAMU, where Florida only FSU and FAU? Would wins over USF and FIU give it to the Kanigits, or one win over UCF give it to us, if no one else goes undefeated?

I'm pretty sure USF fans aren't the only ones who think this whole thing is silly.

• Upvote 1