• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF on the cusp of joining the ranks of UF and FSU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 5:06 PM, bullsbucsfan426 said:

The preeminent university BS was created by the legislature to ensure that UF and FSU got extra funding during down times, and the requirements were specifically designed so that only those two schools would get it. USF had to fight tooth and nail to get this status added to the legislature. They are very scared of USF's rise academically as we're on pace to pass FSU in the next 10 years. 

Many times yes on the statement above.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, Gismo said:

We are past FSU now. 

It depends by what metric you refer to. We're certainly destabilizing the UF/FSU hegemony up in Tallahassee a bit, and that hasn't been done due to how many legislators we have working up there on USF's behalf. It's been completely on our merit, with bumps and bruises along the way. We could take a serious bite out of the "educational powers that be," if we actually had some awesome legislators working in Tally on our behalf.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,753
  • Days Won:  19

On 6/23/2016 at 3:14 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

Very happy for my alma mater. I wounder how many of us would be rejected by admissions who went to USF back in the day...(I am raising my hand slowly...)

Potentially... I didn't have a great high school GPA (my SAT's weren't bad though), however I truly believe USF accepted me because I had six years of military experience. South Carolina turned me down and UVA told me to not even waste my time by completing an application. You could potentially say the school systems at the secondary level today have lowered their standards (no child left behind) thereby inflating the GPAs of the current incoming students. I had many people in my English classes my frosh year in 1999 that left me puzzled on how they graduated from high school (they wrote on a grade school level - and that was being generous). It wouldn't surprise me today if the percentages are similar considering how many students we bring in each year - I mean the school is in business to make money.

Proud to see USF on the up and up - however I wonder if things have really gotten tougher at the university? If they have, excellent. Glad I was fortunate they gave me the opportunity to earn a degree when I was a questionable student at best coming in.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Potentially... I didn't have a great high school GPA (my SAT's weren't bad though), however I truly believe USF accepted me because I had six years of military experience. South Carolina turned me down and UVA told me to not even waste my time by completing an application. You could potentially say the school systems at the secondary level today have lowered their standards (no child left behind) thereby inflating the GPAs of the current incoming students. I had many people in my English classes my frosh year in 1999 that left me puzzled on how they graduated from high school (they wrote on a grade school level - and that was being generous). It wouldn't surprise me today if the percentages are similar considering how many students we bring in each year - I mean the school is in business to make money.

Proud to see USF on the up and up - however I wonder if things have really gotten tougher at the university? If they have, excellent. Glad I was fortunate they gave me the opportunity to earn a degree when I was a questionable student at best coming in.

Yeah they let me in on a flyer. I ran track on scholarship for two years at the University of Kansas. When I transferred into USF my grades were not great. Dean Shirley made a deal with me. He said if i can get a 3.0 in the first semester he would let me in (on the condition all five courses were real courses that I needed..,no pud courses allowed). I ended up with a 3.3 for the term and the rest as they say is history. I will always be  indebted to USF for taking a chance on me and every year I make sure to cut a check to the college of social science to show my appreciation. In terms of the standards now? I am not sure if I could have got in but I know if I did, I would have been just fine. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,753
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yeah they let me in on a flyer. I ran track on scholarship for two years at the University of Kansas. When I transferred into USF my grades were not great. Dean Shirley made a deal with me. He said if i can get a 3.0 in the first semester he would let me in (on the condition all five courses were real courses that I needed..,no pud courses allowed). I ended up with a 3.3 for the term and the rest as they say is history. I will always be  indebted to USF for taking a chance on me and every year I make sure to cut a check to the college of social science to show my appreciation. In terms of the standards now? I am not sure if I could have got in but I know if I did, I would have been just fine. 

Well said...

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:11 AM, wagers said:

Attended the last 3 student sendoff "Round Ups" in Jacksonville.  Students there have been very impressive in what USF is attracting.

BTW....proud that my son will be taking his 5.6 gpa 'talents' to Fowler Ave next year as well.  (playing on LeBron's old saying). :)

Wow, congrats on your son's GPA...impressive.  I remember the days when a 4.0 was the benchmark, which I never achieved.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I'm not going to argue anything.  I'm just going to appreciate it.  Judy has taken a lot of flack, some of it valid, but she's worked tooth and nail to improve USF's academic standing and this to me is terrific.  I'm glad we're on a upward trajectory and I appreciate the hard work, not only by here but but also the professors and staff at USF.  We're doing things right.  It may not be on everyone's time table, but we are seeing results.  These are the kind of things that get you lifted into a P5 conference when accompanied with raising the profile of the sports teams, which I feel is now occurring.  I am hopeful now that USF will be just fine.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

On 6/22/2016 at 7:21 PM, Dhambuc said:

help me out here for a minute If someone will. Are we comparing apples to apples here?  Based on the article Posted above  it says we have performed very well,  Near the top ( catching UF and FSU)  , yet this article posted below  says UCF received the  highest ranking and money based on their performance measures.  So my questions are :  is this the same measurement ? If not than why is UCF receiving more money than USF. Who are we to believe http://today.ucf.edu/no-1-ranking-nets-ucf-16-2-million-in-new-performance-funds/

Can we get the real scoop.

2016 Legislative Appropriations to the USF System   

The new state budget for 2016-2017, which was passed earlier this spring by the State Legislature and approved by Governor Scott, took effect on July 1st. It was another extremely successful year for the entire USF System. In addition to the FIO Research Vessel, many USF System priority initiatives received funding including: 
  • The USF System was allocated $32 million in performance-based funding from the State due to meeting the Florida Board of Governors' metrics for exceptional academic performance and career success of our graduates.   
  • $22.5 million was allocated toward the construction cost of the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine and Heart Health Institute in downtown Tampa.
  • $8.4 million was provided in maintenance funding for existing USF System facilities.
  • $5.6 million was allocated for student life project capital outlay funding.  
  • New funding was also provided to support important community engagement programs at USF St. Petersburg, USF Sarasota-Manatee and the USF Health Byrd Alzheimer's Institute.

---

http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=7402&z=224

Meeting nine of 12 preeminence benchmarks, USF is well beyond the required six benchmarks for “emerging preeminent” status and only two metrics away from full preeminence – which requires 11 of 12 metrics met. Currently only two of Florida’s 12 public universities meet full preeminence standards.

During this week’s Board of Governors meeting, President Judy Genshaft has set the goal that USF would cross the full preeminence threshold in just two years, by 2018.

The USF System meanwhile also remains a leader in the Board of Governors’ performance-based funding program – receiving more than $30 million in state funds this year based on high marks key in measures of student success. The program represents the primary mechanism for awarding new funding to universities from the BOG and Legislature.

---

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for sharing, this is great. Fantastic for USF and it's family.