• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF on the cusp of joining the ranks of UF and FSU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/college/preeminence-vote-puts-usf-on-the-cusp-of-joining-the-ranks-of-uf-and-fsu/2282590

The University of South Florida was the only state university Tuesday to be awarded "emerging preeminence" status by the Florida Board of Governor's Strategic Planning Committee.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

They mention our large endowment too.

only two other universities established after 1950, the University of California at Irvine and the University of California at San Diego, have endowments larger than USF's.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

This still has the feel of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. I would like to be wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

4 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

This still has the feel of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. I would like to be wrong.

I don't see Judy letting Lucy pull the ball away. Hopefully you're wrong. Using the money in the med research area is spot on, and growing the retention rates looks like a heavy focus area. Appears we're doing what we can.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

6 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

I don't see Judy letting Lucy pull the ball away. Hopefully you're wrong. Using the money in the med research area is spot on, and growing the retention rates looks like a heavy focus area. Appears we're doing what we can.

And we had Polytechnic pulled away from us just last year. I would love to be wrong. However, we are going to be pushed down from above (FSU,UF) and pulled down from below (UCF, FAU, FIU...). If we get there it will be an accomplishment not just academically but politically.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

And we had Polytechnic pulled away from us just last year. I would love to be wrong. However, we are going to be pushed down from above (FSU,UF) and pulled down from below (UCF, FAU, FIU...). If we get there it will be an accomplishment not just academically but politically.

Bear in mind that USF was able to get the "emerging" category added to state law... (although it might have had the support of UCF and perhaps FIU).

Because the measures are objective and in the law, the Board of Governors doesn't really have the ability to "pull" it away.

My favorite part of the article (emphasis added):

"I'll be quite frank: This is not a challenge for the University of South Florida," Wilcox said. "It's really an extension of a plan we've been working on for the past 15 years or so, and we've been steadily moving past the milestones."

That plan, put in motion before preeminence even existed, was for USF to become a member of the Association of American Universities, a group of 34 public and 28 private universities deemed the best research universities nationwide.

Florida boasts only one AAU university: UF. The benchmarks required to become an AAU university align with those set by the state for preeminence, Wilcox said.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

The real question, how many more years until aau status?

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

help me out here for a minute If someone will. Are we comparing apples to apples here?  Based on the article Posted above  it says we have performed very well,  Near the top ( catching UF and FSU)  , yet this article posted below  says UCF received the  highest ranking and money based on their performance measures.  So my questions are :  is this the same measurement ? If not than why is UCF receiving more money than USF. Who are we to believe http://today.ucf.edu/no-1-ranking-nets-ucf-16-2-million-in-new-performance-funds/

Can we get the real scoop.

Edited by Dhambuc