• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN Loses Another 1.5 Million Subs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, HR Bull said:

The conferences should just make their own direct streaming services. Subscribers pay the conference directly cut out the middleman, they can should pull in their own advertising revenue. They should broker deals directly with each other for interconference games. Tell Mickey and those other leeches to beat it. 

Depends on the impact to subscribers, the ESPN payout isn't going to be an easy revenue stream to replace with a bunch of value-conscious customers. The Ionbull model is probably more sustainable using an existing streaming service. Cost impact to consumers should be lower, and reliability probably higher.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,776
  • Days Won:  6

That's a cold $10 mil out of the mouse's pocket. I dislike ESPN as much as the next guy but ESPN will still be fine. People cutting the chord is a big thing but cable providers are looking at a 100% cloud based system at lower rates(much like DISH did with Sling) Comcast already has an app for Samsung smart TVs as well as Roku in their quest of being all cloud based which will keep subscribers by cutting out unnecessary box rental fees. Also Comcast just netted an increase of 340,000 cable subscribers for Q1 this year which is unprecedented in this day and age. So while a lot eof people are cutting getting rid of live TV in their homes there will always be a market for sports ESPN just doesn't monopolize the market anymore which is why they're coming back down to earth in subscriptions. 

I do agree with others though it will be interesting to see what the next round of negotiations hold. CBS Sports would be intriguing just as a deal with Fox or NBC, I don't see a strictly streaming with a service like Netflix happening yet however. There are still too many that do not utilize that technology. And as for chord cutting goes, I did it for a while and didn't see the value personally so I applaud those that make it work, when I added up my subscriptions (Sling with sports and movie add ons, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and full season purchases to get the latest episode on Google Play for shows that weren't available as part of any streaming service  like The League)  plus the higher bill for Internet as I wasn't bundled I was still paying on average $120 a month and I actually saved money by going back plus the added channels(especially in the realm of sports) made sense to me; thankful that this year my viewing of the Bulls will not come down to wetter CBSsports.com is streaming the game (which was **** near never).

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,418
  • Days Won:  19

40 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

That's a cold $10 mil out of the mouse's pocket. I dislike ESPN as much as the next guy but ESPN will still be fine. People cutting the chord is a big thing but cable providers are looking at a 100% cloud based system at lower rates(much like DISH did with Sling) Comcast already has an app for Samsung smart TVs as well as Roku in their quest of being all cloud based which will keep subscribers by cutting out unnecessary box rental fees. Also Comcast just netted an increase of 340,000 cable subscribers for Q1 this year which is unprecedented in this day and age. So while a lot eof people are cutting getting rid of live TV in their homes there will always be a market for sports ESPN just doesn't monopolize the market anymore which is why they're coming back down to earth in subscriptions. 

I do agree with others though it will be interesting to see what the next round of negotiations hold. CBS Sports would be intriguing just as a deal with Fox or NBC, I don't see a strictly streaming with a service like Netflix happening yet however. There are still too many that do not utilize that technology. And as for chord cutting goes, I did it for a while and didn't see the value personally so I applaud those that make it work, when I added up my subscriptions (Sling with sports and movie add ons, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and full season purchases to get the latest episode on Google Play for shows that weren't available as part of any streaming service  like The League)  plus the higher bill for Internet as I wasn't bundled I was still paying on average $120 a month and I actually saved money by going back plus the added channels(especially in the realm of sports) made sense to me; thankful that this year my viewing of the Bulls will not come down to wetter CBSsports.com is streaming the game (which was **** near never).

Interesting, synopsis:

I have a 2 year contract with Verizon FIOS Frontier for Internet only. 75/75 Mbs + free Showtime & HBO (2 years) for 60/month. I also have Netflix(4k), Hulu, PLEX (which allows movie and television sharing throughout my household), and the Roku(2x) allows me to share my laptop screen.

Sports games are difficult (if they weren't ESPN). Actually, they were difficult even if it was ESPN.

The CBS sports streaming app was actually not bad (for the games that they had available... which seemed like more UCF than USF, for some odd reason)

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

6 hours ago, Ionbull said:

Or how about AAC does something really crazy and throws all we know out the window with a streaming package with Netflix, Hulu, yahoo, social media, Apple TV?

I have no idea or pretend to know how this would work just throwing out a crazy idea. Chord cutting is a thing and the NFL is streaming a game live online this upcoming year. Best to be ahead of the curve. 

The other day Aresco made mention of streaming services and "other avenues".  He's not closing the door on ESPN or Fox by any means, but it sounds like he would be open to the idea and it may not be all that crazy.  Your overall viewership audience would shrink (presumably) on something like Netfix or Hulu.  But if the networks won't up the dollars for the AAC, it isn't crazy to think a streaming service (or three) could compete with the network offers (or combine to compete).

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

3 hours ago, 206BULL said:

Depending when you tried it, you might find a different environment now.  Sling keeps adding channels and Vue has a very compelling package.

i1nXNWF.jpg

ESPN wonders why they are losing subscribers

source: reddit

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

First Take is hands down the worst sports show ever on TV, and I can't believe I didn't say that about a show with Chris Berman on it.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,434
  • Days Won:  422

42 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

First Take is hands down the worst sports show ever on TV, and I can't believe I didn't say that about a show with Chris Berman on it.  

If I downvoted posts, the fact you didn't say it about a show with CB on it would have warranted one .... Thank God for the NFL Network and their draft coverage.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

If I downvoted posts, the fact you didn't say it about a show with CB on it would have warranted one .... Thank God for the NFL Network and their draft coverage.

That you said you would have downvoted me if you downvoted hurts, man.  I just figured our mutual hate of Chris Berman was enough to get us through without ill will.