• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Orlando Sentinel(Video), "If USF Runs The Table

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

26 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Let's win 10 games in a season for once before we start having an opinion on getting screwed in a playoff.

Amen brother.  Let's focus on the conf championship before the natty

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, Sellular1 said:

No G5 team will ever make the playoffs as long as there are only 4 spots.

Yeah I am pretty sure it's all about selling MOAR CELL PHONES, and MOAR FAST FOOD during these games than the image of everyone having a shot.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I think if we see a year like 2007 when all the top teams had 2 losses then I think an undefeated usf would finish top 4. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I'll chime in, just because it is an interesting hypothetical. I think there are only 2 scenarios in which USF could possibly make it to the CFP. First, Houston would have to be undefeated in the AAC title game as well, which would mean that they would have knocked off Oklahoma and Louisville. Given Houston's performance last season, this would have them somewhere in the top 6 or so by the time we would play them. Additionally, we would need FSU to have only lost to us, beating Ole Miss, Louisville, and Clemson in the process. That would most likely place FSU in the top 6 as well. In that scenario, there would be a chance the USF (who could be ranked in the top 12 or so at that point) could leapfrog a few one and two loss teams, but that would definitely be an intriguing situation. 

The second scenario I can imagine is a weird season in which 4 of the P5 champions have 2+ losses each. This scenario is probably less likely than the first, but still a possibility. In that case, an undefeated USF with big wins over a one-loss Houston and 2 loss FSU could make the case for inclusion in the CFP. 

The reality is that the system is rigged. As other posters have alluded to, you really have to have 2 incredible seasons in a row or 3 or 4 consistent seasons (top 15 to top 20 finishes) in order to have a chance. The disheartening part is that, without conference realignment, our 2017 OOC schedule is too weak to make the CFP regardless of how well we perform this season (short of going 14-0). Likewise, our 2018 OOC schedule lacks a marquee program (albeit we do have 1 open date left to fill). As of right now 2019 only has Wisconsin scheduled and 2020 we have our first of 3 games against Texas. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

We're going 7-5 this year, mark it down.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,327
  • Content Count:  21,277
  • Days Won:  10

We are going 9-3

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

28 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'll chime in, just because it is an interesting hypothetical. I think there are only 2 scenarios in which USF could possibly make it to the CFP. First, Houston would have to be undefeated in the AAC title game as well, which would mean that they would have knocked off Oklahoma and Louisville. Given Houston's performance last season, this would have them somewhere in the top 6 or so by the time we would play them. Additionally, we would need FSU to have only lost to us, beating Ole Miss, Louisville, and Clemson in the process. That would most likely place FSU in the top 6 as well. In that scenario, there would be a chance the USF (who could be ranked in the top 12 or so at that point) could leapfrog a few one and two loss teams, but that would definitely be an intriguing situation. 

The second scenario I can imagine is a weird season in which 4 of the P5 champions have 2+ losses each. This scenario is probably less likely than the first, but still a possibility. In that case, an undefeated USF with big wins over a one-loss Houston and 2 loss FSU could make the case for inclusion in the CFP. 

The reality is that the system is rigged. As other posters have alluded to, you really have to have 2 incredible seasons in a row or 3 or 4 consistent seasons (top 15 to top 20 finishes) in order to have a chance. The disheartening part is that, without conference realignment, our 2017 OOC schedule is too weak to make the CFP regardless of how well we perform this season (short of going 14-0). Likewise, our 2018 OOC schedule lacks a marquee program (albeit we do have 1 open date left to fill). As of right now 2019 only has Wisconsin scheduled and 2020 we have our first of 3 games against Texas. 

Yea, a lot of things would have to fall our way and that is true for all G5 and frankly most of the lower tier P5 teams if you think about it.

59 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Let's win 10 games in a season for once before we start having an opinion on getting screwed in a playoff.

It is an off season hypothetical discussion.  What the hell else is there to talk about?  

I really don't even think this conversation in a USF centric one.  It applies to all the G5 teams out there.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, mark_my_words said:

It is an off season hypothetical discussion.  What the hell else is there to talk about?  

publix.jpg

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

publix.jpg

What no Mardi Gras wings?  You know you can only get them at Publix.

Really Publix's soups are where its at anyway.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

I must be honest, last season -- AAC seemed much stronger as a conference than I had imagined

If the conference (doesn't get poached) and consistently remains competitive -- one school may get a shot

• Upvote 1