• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2017 Verbals: PG LaShonda Monk & G Vanessa Blagmon

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

High Point (N.C.) PG LaShonda Monk and Stockbridge (Ga.) G Vanessa Blagmon both confirmed to the Tampa Bay Times on Thursday evening they intend to sign with the Bulls. Both are considered three-star prospects for the Class of 2017 by ESPN. 

Read more at: 

Women's hoops lands 2 commitments

Lashonda Monk

Lashonda Monk

HIGH POINT, NORTH CAROLINA

Southwest Guilford High School, Class of 2017

POSITION PG
HEIGHT
5' 6"
COLLEGE SOUTH FLORIDA

WATCH
LIST

Vanessa Blagmon

Vanessa Blagmon

GUARD

CLASS: 2017

SCOUTS GRADE

• Stockbridge, GAHOMETOWN
  • WoodlandHIGH SCHOOL
  • 5-8HEIGHT
  • WEIGHT
  • OVERALL RANK
  • 17POSITION RANK

ALSO CONSIDERED

ESPN PLAYER EVALUATIONS

Battle-in-the-'boro-July 2015: Athletic combo-guard handles and attacks in uptempo game; active in passing lanes, converts from turnovers; reads pressure, delivers off the dribble. (Olson)

LaShonda Monk

LaShonda Monk

POINT GUARD

CLASS: 2017

SCOUTS GRADE

• High Point, NCHOMETOWN
  • Southwest GuilfordHIGH SCHOOL
  • 5-6HEIGHT
  • WEIGHT
  • OVERALL RANK
  • 12POSITION RANK

ALSO CONSIDERED

ESPN PLAYER EVALUATIONS

March 2015: Athletic lead-guard with a scorer's mentality; 1 on 1 creator, penetrates and finds rim with regularity; midrange game creator, stationary threat at the arc; anticipates, active in passing lanes. (Olson)

Notes

Piedmont Triad Conference Player-of-the-Year in 2015.

HSXtra Interview: With Southwest Guilford's LaShonda Monk

LaShonda Monk

JOSEPH RODRIGUEZ/News & Record

Southwest Guilford junior point guard LaShonda Monk: "I would say that there’s just something in me … there’s a dog inside of me where I won’t back down from anything. So if someone says that they’re better than me, I’m going to prove to them on the court that they’re not. I just have that type of dog mentality. I’m just very competitive. I guess that’s what it is."

Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:00 pm

By J.P. Mundy sports@greensboro.com

Junior LaShonda Monk has been Southwest Guilford’s starting point guard almost from the moment she first set foot on campus. She brings a level of toughness to the basketball court not often seen in the high school ranks. Monk demonstrated that toughness after suffering a broken arm during a game against Page this season. After three weeks in a cast and some physical therapy, she has returned to get Southwest back on track for the NCHSAA Class 4-A playoffs.

Q: When did you start playing basketball?

A: I actually started playing when I got in middle school.

Q: I wouldn’t have guessed that. So you didn’t play organized hoops before then?

A: My dad was the coach of Macedonia baseball, so I played with him because he was the coach. So I played baseball with boys when I was growing up. I did that when I was 7 through age 12.

Q: Did the boys on the team give you a hard time?

A: (Laughing) No, not really.

Q: What positions did you play on the diamond?

A: I played first base, center field and pitcher. I was actually good at it. I got MVP of the whole season like twice.

Q: So what prompted you to play basketball?

A: All my sisters and brothers played. And they were all good. Just going to their games all the time, I guess I followed what they were doing.

Q: How many older siblings do you have?

A: I have two sisters and one brother, and I have one brother who is younger than me.

Q: One thing I’ve noticed about your game is that you look like you’re always playing with purpose. You play like you have something to prove. Is that true?

A: I wouldn’t necessarily say it was true. I would say that there’s just something in me … there’s a dog inside of me where I won’t back down from anything. So if someone says that they’re better than me, I’m going to prove to them on the court that they’re not. I just have that type of dog mentality. I’m just very competitive. I guess that’s what it is.

Q: What’s the biggest difference between LaShonda the freshman player and LaShonda the junior player?

A: My attitude. My attitude has grown. It’s really improved. Freshman year I didn’t have a bad year, but I knew it was something I needed to work on because I know that colleges look at what type of attitude you have on court, and that’s what I had to improve on most.

Q: Can you give me an example?

A: Well, my freshman year it wasn’t as bad as last year. When I made a mistake or my teammates would make a mistake, I would get so mad. When I fouled, I got mad. I don’t know.

Q: People have talked about LaShonda Monk in this area for a while now. What is that like?

A: It’s a great feeling, but I just set that aside. If you have something good to say about me, I just take that with me to the next game. It doesn’t really bother me. It doesn’t change me when people say good things.

Q: You’re kind of a flashy point guard, with a lot of moves. Where did you get that from?

A: I would say my brother, Lashuarn. On holidays we go up to the Y and shoot around, work on ballhandling … different stuff. He wants to work with me and I want to work with him, so we’re always in the gym together.

Q: So, like baseball, do you play pickup with the guys?

A: Yes. Every Monday. Well, now that we’re back in school I don’t, but when we don’t have school I go up to the Y and play a little ball with the grown men.

Q: Did those guys every give you a hassle about playing?

A: No! My first time ever going up there, they just let me play. I guess because they knew my dad well and my brother well. Once they saw me play, all they give the ball to is me.

Q: Is that why you appear fearless on the court?

A: Yes. I’ve always thought playing with boys makes you so much better. They don’t let up, and that’s why I play the way I play.

Q: You say you’re competitive. Does that translate to school as well?

A: Yes. Last semester I didn’t get honor roll, but I have, previously. I’m taking AP and honors classes.

Q: You play basketball year-round and you’re taking a difficult course load. Have you always wanted to challenge yourself like that?

A: Yes. I try to get good grades in the classroom so I can get a scholarship to go to a school that I want to go to without having a problem.

Q: What will you study in college?

A: Right now I want to do physical therapy. Something in that type of field.

Q: What do you have left to accomplish as a player in high school?

A: We started off rough in the conference, with me being out. So there’s unfinished business, basically. We’ve got to get back up in the conference to have a good season so we don’t get a low seed and end up playing somewhere other than home. Next year, with Northwest (Guilford) losing a lot of players, I feel like we can win a state championship.

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/hsxtra/basketball/hsxtra-interview-with-southwest-guilford-s-lashonda-monk/article_49153b4c-c6b7-11e5-b508-ab5e3ced9ff4.html

• 8 months later...

Congrats!

D Black@daemmion
 Follow
More

Congrats to Vanessa Blagmon @vblagmo5 scoring her 1000 point!! @Lady_Blue_Bball @NHSBlueCrew @USFWBB #1000milestone #shedomorethanscore

C1dJTLhXEAE54xi.jpg

C1dJTLnWQAM9uai.jpg