• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I tried giving you a "positive" up vote Ned Starr on a post and it said I can't give you reputation votes. Sorry if my memory is short lived... but did we get tangled up on here at some point in time?  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

19 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Academically, we want our daughter to excel so she isn't limited in what she pursues. My sister-in-law was one of 18,000 applicants recently for the astronaut program with NASA. We spoke to Anne McClain recently, a current astronaut that played softball with my wife at West Point, on what it takes to get accepted into the NASA program. It was mind blowing to say the least. Not saying my daughter will be an astronaut, but we at least want to position her academically so she can at least have that possibility if that is something she dreams about. 

From an athletic perspective, I believe there is some inherent correlation between success in athletics and success in life (not always - but in a good many cases). I think it comes down to developing drive and work ethic in an individual early in life. We figure we can develop a good worth ethic with her while also keeping her on a good schedule if we keep her busy with athletics. Will she benefit from it? Who knows. However I talk to my wife's parents a lot. In my opinion, they were extremely successful with their three kids (and they each came from an extremely humble background).  

We laugh sometimes because our 18-month old daughter we'll spend the afternoon picking up flowers and bugs outside vice throwing a baseball with my wife and me. She'll run around for hours on end in the park for no apparent reason - and then she'll see a caterpillar and the world stops. I guess you'll never know until they know. 

For those individuals that get upset that I discuss money on here, my apologies. I've never been the best with tact (as some of you very well know). I've always been numbers driven and sometimes I need to remember not everyone thinks in the same terms. I will say this, I've learned many lessons from people on this board who I've considered mentors in life. Some are from our fan base and some are from the fan bases of opposing teams (RIP Gruehls). My biggest thanks goes to Bulliever himself with the wisdom he's parted on me over the years. Without his guidance, I doubt I would be in a position now where I would be saying my child comes first over my own self-interests (although you would think that would be a no-brainer for everyone).

Anyways... I figured since some people compared me to Todd Marinovich's father, I should further expound on my thoughts to say we are more open minded than what he might have been (I share a chocolate milkshake with my daughter every weekend during our two mile walk to the local outdoor market area - I think Todd had his first milkshake when he was 18).    

All of us have people we need to thank, but not everyone takes time to dole out the praise where it's due--some people just don't/can't learn. Glad it's worked out for you, and best of luck with that daughter. I have two, and I think all you can do is what you think is best for their future, and hope to God it works. It's a fun ride though!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

On May 23, 2016 at 0:50 PM, The Sheriff said:

I totally understand where that girl is coming from job wise after graduating from USF (I had pretty good grades as well). It appears the value of my USF degree hasn't changed much over the past 12 years... yet people keep saying the academic standards have risen. Tomfoolery I say. I feel very fortunate that I enjoyed my time fully at USF. I can only imagine how upset someone would be that didn't enjoy their time at USF, has sizable student loans and failed to get a degree in a critical field where real jobs aren't such slim pickings (real fields IMO include engineering, mathematics, accounting, pre-med).

My finance degree from USF and $1.99 will get you a hot dog and pepsi at the local 7-11. I wish I could say my degree has opened millions of doors for me - it really hasn't. I wonder though what people consider a good financial ceiling? Prior to getting married, my wife stated three years ago that I needed to make $150K a year in my current sales job or I need to be searching for an office job with more stability (401K, medical, etc). If that wasn't acceptable, then I need to go to law school (even tougher IMO). She's not a spender - she's very conservative. However to adequately save for retirement, we need to be putting close to $60K a year in the bank. She's a MD - however the Army doesn't pay as well as the civilian world (although she has NO student loans).  

The last two years have been a roller coaster - in 2014, I just cleared the mark. Last year though, I fell $54K short of $150K. I changed companies in September after seeing the huge drop in pay was imminent (I was railroaded by the owner of the prior company lacking foresight on our competition even though I gave him ample warning). This year, trying to make up for last year's poor performance.

Any thoughts from the board on where a graduate from USF with a non-technical degree should be sitting when they graduate? What about a decade later? I try to measure myself up against my peers, but I feel like I have plateaued financially to a certain point. I do have my MBA - but wondering what type of transition one would expect working in a sales field versus taking a desk job for a large company. I've literally worked from my house for the last 10 years and the money has been a roller coaster. I do have job security with my current employer (they are happy with what I bring to the table) - but they also realize I want to make even more money - who doesn't. 

Sorry for rambling on... it seems like the rat race never ends. Now that we have a daughter, she has become the sole focus. Somehow, I have to ensure she becomes an academic and athletic superstar. Nothing less seems acceptable with respect to the standards my wife and I hope to maintain in our house. We figure it's the only way to ensure our daughter has a more prosperous future than my wife or myself (and therefore she won't have to rely on a guy).

Go Bulls!    

:wtf:

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

19 hours ago, Calibull said:

:wtf:

Sheriff gonna Sheriff, just like Spazz is gonna Spazz. :D

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Sheriff gonna Sheriff, just like Spazz is gonna Spazz. :D

Pretty much nailed it I guess.

My boy Mazza has always been someone I found to provide good life advice... I think seeing how well his son turned out shows that people can definitely be different from their internet personas. For those that have met him and taken time to get to know him, he's a Bulls fan as much as the rest of us. He's an even better friend. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

On 5/25/2016 at 1:09 PM, raptorcj said:

All of us have people we need to thank, but not everyone takes time to dole out the praise where it's due--some people just don't/can't learn. Glad it's worked out for you, and best of luck with that daughter. I have two, and I think all you can do is what you think is best for their future, and hope to God it works. It's a fun ride though!

Agree. I have two daughters also, and two grandaughters. One daughter is 40 and the other is 22. Both are/were good athletes. Both grew up playing softball. Both grew up not afraid of an honest days work and not afraid to work for what they want. Both seem to be pretty happy with where they are, so the old man is happy as I can be.

Now, if we could just win the darn conference...

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

Anyone that even remotly knows Tiffany knows she works for Disney.  She comes back to St Pete and bartends once a week.  Yes she graduated from USF with a degree in Communications with a focus on Media and a minor in American Sign Language.  Instead of all your negativity, go in and speak to her yourself she post on her FB each Tuesday that she is in town and bartending

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

3 hours ago, USFoldone said:

Anyone that even remotly knows Tiffany knows she works for Disney.  She comes back to St Pete and bartends once a week.  Yes she graduated from USF with a degree in Communications with a focus on Media and a minor in American Sign Language.  Instead of all your negativity, go in and speak to her yourself she post on her FB each Tuesday that she is in town and bartending

You thought this post was negative?  Welcome to the innerwebz, brace yourself.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

You thought this post was negative?  Welcome to the innerwebz, brace yourself.

LOL ... There were some mildly unflattering comments about some of the images earlier in the thread, but I think this is more of a case of a new poster not knowing how to address the appropriate parties.