• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

44 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Mad skills with the baton, she might be the best I've ever seen. And yeah, she's very cute too, always smiling. And with that personality, I'm thinking she makes pretty good money in tips at Wing House. Let her have her fun before she has to sit at a desk...

Honestly if that location has good traffic she's probably making just as much or more than she would at an entry level desk desk job. 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,325
  • Days Won:  43

Cool name. 

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,325
  • Days Won:  43

3 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

Kayla Pate.

Another cool name. 

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I totally understand where that girl is coming from job wise after graduating from USF (I had pretty good grades as well). It appears the value of my USF degree hasn't changed much over the past 12 years... yet people keep saying the academic standards have risen. Tomfoolery I say. I feel very fortunate that I enjoyed my time fully at USF. I can only imagine how upset someone would be that didn't enjoy their time at USF, has sizable student loans and failed to get a degree in a critical field where real jobs aren't such slim pickings (real fields IMO include engineering, mathematics, accounting, pre-med).

My finance degree from USF and $1.99 will get you a hot dog and pepsi at the local 7-11. I wish I could say my degree has opened millions of doors for me - it really hasn't. I wonder though what people consider a good financial ceiling? Prior to getting married, my wife stated three years ago that I needed to make $150K a year in my current sales job or I need to be searching for an office job with more stability (401K, medical, etc). If that wasn't acceptable, then I need to go to law school (even tougher IMO). She's not a spender - she's very conservative. However to adequately save for retirement, we need to be putting close to $60K a year in the bank. She's a MD - however the Army doesn't pay as well as the civilian world (although she has NO student loans).  

The last two years have been a roller coaster - in 2014, I just cleared the mark. Last year though, I fell $54K short of $150K. I changed companies in September after seeing the huge drop in pay was imminent (I was railroaded by the owner of the prior company lacking foresight on our competition even though I gave him ample warning). This year, trying to make up for last year's poor performance.

Any thoughts from the board on where a graduate from USF with a non-technical degree should be sitting when they graduate? What about a decade later? I try to measure myself up against my peers, but I feel like I have plateaued financially to a certain point. I do have my MBA - but wondering what type of transition one would expect working in a sales field versus taking a desk job for a large company. I've literally worked from my house for the last 10 years and the money has been a roller coaster. I do have job security with my current employer (they are happy with what I bring to the table) - but they also realize I want to make even more money - who doesn't. 

Sorry for rambling on... it seems like the rat race never ends. Now that we have a daughter, she has become the sole focus. Somehow, I have to ensure she becomes an academic and athletic superstar. Nothing less seems acceptable with respect to the standards my wife and I hope to maintain in our house. We figure it's the only way to ensure our daughter has a more prosperous future than my wife or myself (and therefore she won't have to rely on a guy).

Go Bulls!    

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, The Sheriff said:

I totally understand where that girl is coming from job wise after graduating from USF (I had pretty good grades as well). It appears the value of my USF degree hasn't changed much over the past 12 years... yet people keep saying the academic standards have risen. Tomfoolery I say. I feel very fortunate that I enjoyed my time fully at USF. I can only imagine how upset someone would be that didn't enjoy their time at USF, has sizable student loans and failed to get a degree in a critical field where real jobs aren't such slim pickings (real fields IMO include engineering, mathematics, accounting, pre-med).

My finance degree from USF and $1.99 will get you a hot dog and pepsi at the local 7-11. I wish I could say my degree has opened millions of doors for me - it really hasn't. I wonder though what people consider a good financial ceiling? Prior to getting married, my wife stated three years ago that I needed to make $150K a year in my current sales job or I need to be searching for an office job with more stability (401K, medical, etc). If that wasn't acceptable, then I need to go to law school (even tougher IMO). She's not a spender - she's very conservative. However to adequately save for retirement, we need to be putting close to $60K a year in the bank. She's a MD - however the Army doesn't pay as well as the civilian world (although she has NO student loans).  

The last two years have been a roller coaster - in 2014, I just cleared the mark. Last year though, I fell $54K short of $150K. I changed companies in September after seeing the huge drop in pay was imminent (I was railroaded by the owner of the prior company lacking foresight on our competition even though I gave him ample warning). This year, trying to make up for last year's poor performance.

Any thoughts from the board on where a graduate from USF with a non-technical degree should be sitting when they graduate? What about a decade later? I try to measure myself up against my peers, but I feel like I have plateaued financially to a certain point. I do have my MBA - but wondering what type of transition one would expect working in a sales field versus taking a desk job for a large company. I've literally worked from my house for the last 10 years and the money has been a roller coaster. I do have job security with my current employer (they are happy with what I bring to the table) - but they also realize I want to make even more money - who doesn't. 

Sorry for rambling on... it seems like the rat race never ends. Now that we have a daughter, she has become the sole focus. Somehow, I have to ensure she becomes an academic and athletic superstar. Nothing less seems acceptable with respect to the standards my wife and I hope to maintain in our house. We figure it's the only way to ensure our daughter has a more prosperous future than my wife or myself (and therefore she won't have to rely on a guy).

Go Bulls!    

Count your blessings.  If you're pulling down $100K and your wife's a Dr. you're probably doing better than just about everyone on this board.  If you're happy at your current job why leave for a few dollars more.  Grass isn't always greener...      

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

14 hours ago, 88Alum said:

Count your blessings.  If you're pulling down $100K and your wife's a Dr. you're probably doing better than just about everyone on this board.  If you're happy at your current job why leave for a few dollars more.  Grass isn't always greener...      

I'm pulling down decent money with two USF degrees (although not in the real fields you list, Sheriff), but IMHO quality of life should lead any family's priority list.  Maybe it's a rat race in part because of those fields?  No offense, but finance as a field sounds like it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy as far as where your priorities lie.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, NCBull said:

I'm pulling down decent money with two USF degrees (although not in the real fields you list, Sheriff), but IMHO quality of life should lead any family's priority list.  Maybe it's a rat race in part because of those fields?  No offense, but finance as a field sounds like it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy as far as where your priorities lie.

I've been on this site for 5 years and I can count the number of times someone's posted their salary (or the cost of something the purchased like a car or house) for everyone to see/judge/etc. and all of them have come from Sheriff. I would have said that was a good indicator as well.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

On May 19, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Bulls2k said:

I'm sure someone on TBP can step up and offer her a biz job.

I got a job she can do...

1958016647.gif

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

57 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I've been on this site for 5 years and I can count the number of times someone's posted their salary (or the cost of something the purchased like a car or house) for everyone to see/judge/etc. and all of them have come from Sheriff. I would have said that was a good indicator as well.

smazza does like to talk about how much money he has.  He hasn't given specific numbers though.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

18 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

I have to ensure she becomes an academic and athletic superstar. Nothing less seems acceptable with respect to the standards my wife and I hope to maintain in our house.

It is great to hear that your daughter is you and your wife's sole focus, sadly that isn't the case in some families.  I do not think you can ensure that she will be an academic or athletic superstar.  I focus on supporting and encouraging my children to try their best, try different things (some kids excel in some things and don't in others), and be kind in doing it. 

• Upvote 2