• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BULLS BEGIN NCAA REGIONAL RUN MONDAY IN NEW MEXICO

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

Tech slips a bit to end the day, Bulls alone in 2nd place

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

54 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

I think I remember that last year 5th place tied teams played off. It happened in at least one of the regionals.

Correct....only 5 teams period (no-ties, per Region) + low individual (per Region) advance to the Finals.  

Link supplied for the "linksters":   http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016DIMGO_PreChampsManual_20160226.pdf

The low five teams and the low individual not on those teams will
advance to the finals. Playoffs and tiebreakers, as set forth in Appendix A*, will be used, if necessary, to determine advancement
to the finals. The games committee will do everything possible to complete 54 holes within the scheduled three-day period.

* Appendix A • Tiebreaking
Tiebreaking Procedures
Team ties shall be broken by a sudden-death playoff counting the low four scores relative to par on each hole. Play shall
continue with new scoring on each successive hole until a winner is determined. The games committee will determine the
starting holes. If a playoff involves more than two teams, a shotgun format shall be used. The team playoff will be conducted
first, with the playoff for individual spots to follow immediately after the conclusion of the team playoff. Once the shotgun
sudden-death format is started, that format shall be used until a winner is determined.

1 hour ago, Sellular1 said:

Rigel Fernandes tied for individual leader !

Looks like his on his game with 6 birds for the day and and finishing very strong, going -4 for his last `10 holes.

Edited by Bulls2k

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

First day is done

USF sole possession of 2nd after TexTech fell 2 strokes behind

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Nice to see that ECU is doing well in their regional. Texas, as expected, is running away, but ECU is alone in 2nd place, at the moment. They were the lowest seed to make it from the AAC.

NCAA Franklin Regional
May 16 - May 18 2016
Team Leaders
1 Texas -20
2 East Carolina -9
T3 Washington -5
T3 Kennesaw State -5
T5 Vanderbilt -3
T5 Virginia -3

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Rigel Fernandes is tied for the lead after carding a 3-under 69 on Monday.

Ben Solomon/American Athletic Conference

BULLS IN 2ND PLACE AFTER DAY 1 AT N.M. REGIONAL

May 16, 2016 
By  USF

TEAM SCORES

PLAYER SCORES

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M., MAY 16, 2016 – Third-seeded USF is in second place and three shots away from the lead after Monday’s opening round of the NCAA Albuquerque, N.M. Regional.

Head coach Steve Bradley’s No. 11/15 Bulls combined to go 3-under on the final six holes and finished at 1-over (289), just a few shots behind No. 11 Arizona State. Texas Tech (+3), No. 3 USC (+3) and TCU (+4) round out the top five. Five programs with the lowest scores from each of the six 54-hole regionals advance to the NCAA Championship finals May 27-June 1 in Eugene, Ore.

“Obviously the main goal is to advance, but we’re here to win,” Bradley said. “I think if you just try to be in the top five, I don’t think you follow your game plan. We want to win and tomorrow we’ll try to get ourselves in a position to do that.”

Rigel Fernandes powered the Bulls’ charge up the leaderboard with a 3-under 69 that has the junior tied for the lead with Arizona State’s Jon Rahm. Fernandes went 4-under on the final 11 holes after sinking a 20-foot putt from the fringe for double bogey on No. 7. The Bradenton native followed that up with about a 30-foot par putt on No. 8 and continued to heat up down the stretch.

“It’s things like that. If you get them to go right for you, it just completely changes your momentum,” Bradley said. “He played solidly on the back side and never looked back.”

Chase Koepka also started in the top 10 with an even-par 72 that has the senior tied for 10th place out of 75 players. The unanimous all-conference selection from West Palm Beach went 1-under on the front nine and collected two of his four birdies on the back nine.

Claudio Correa is one shot outside the top 10 after carding a 1-over 73 that has the sophomore tied for 16th place. The unanimous all-conference selection from Santiago, Chile posted three of his five total birdies on his final four holes to help the Bulls make their move up the leaderboard.

“It was pretty cool to watch them play the last six or seven holes and come back the way they did,” Bradley said.

American Athletic Conference Player of the Year Aksel Olsen is a shot outside the top 25 after opening with a 3-over 75 at the University of New Mexico’s Championship Course (par-72, 7,555 yards).

USF will tee off on the front nine Tuesday, starting at 11:15 a.m. (EST). Follow the second round in progress at the official Golfstat.com scoring page HERE.

2 South Florida +1

T1 Rigel Fernandes (4) 69

T10 Chase Koepka (2)  72

T16 Claudio Correa (3) 73

T35  Aksel Olsen (1) 75

T66 Cristian DiMarco (5) 80

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,494
  • Days Won:  10

If we tee off at 11:15am EST, does that mean we really go at 12:15pm EDT?  I always forget how that goes... ;)

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

39 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

If we tee off at 11:15am EST, does that mean we really go at 12:15pm EDT?  I always forget how that goes... ;)

Yes...but I'm pretty sure we're teeing off at 11:15 AM.

Man....wish these was a free style tourney cause we'd have the winner right here: