• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Professor Marvin Karlins

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

18 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

One of the best professors I had. Remember watching Gung Ho and Flight of the Phoenix in his class.

Never had him, so I'm a little confused about what watching movies had to do with Accounting?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

28 minutes ago, wagers said:

Is that really him playing poker or a guy that looks like him?

Good chance it's really him

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

28 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Never had him, so I'm a little confused about what watching movies had to do with Accounting?

I'm guessing it was a way to kill time so he'd spend just a little time actually instructing and more time prepping for poker games.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

42 minutes ago, NCBull said:

You're not going to boost your ratemyprofessors.com score without a full commitment to being the professor who does things his own way. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

You're not going to boost your ratemyprofessors.com score without a full commitment to being the professor who does things his own way. 

To each his own I guess. I never show a full motion picture in my classes as it is a waste of valuable in class time. This is something that students can do out of class and discuss it when we meet together. That being said, sounds like Karlins has a lot of students who enjoy his classes. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That being said, sounds like Karlins has a lot of students who enjoy his classes. 

Why wouldn't they? Kids would be lining up to have me if I showed Harry Potter to my history classes.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

19 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Why wouldn't they? Kids would be lining up to have me if I showed Harry Potter to my history classes.

As a professor of OB, I totally agree with you JTrue. I stand by initial statement that in terms of pedagogy a full motion picture is best when viewed outside of class. I do use a few movie snipits and video cases in class but this followed by in depth discussion. 

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

As a professor of OB, I totally agree with you JTrue. I stand by initial statement that in terms of pedagogy a full motion picture is best when viewed outside of class. I do use a few movie snipits and video cases in class but this followed by in depth discussion. 

Same. Sometimes, I'll even post some links and have the discussion completely out of class in Canvas.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Can't believe this guy is still teaching at USF.  Pretty sure I had him for management back in 1982 or 1983.  One of the few professors that I can actually recall his name.  what was great about him is that he made the class fun and always had great stories to tell.

I remember his first management lesson was that you couldn't ever argue with him about anything that appeared on a test because it came out of the book and he wrote the book.  It applied to work because usually the top managment guys are the ones that write the rules so you can't argue and win no matter how stupid something is.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

"Flight of the Phoenix" is a classic management/resource allocation scenario, which I could see as useful.  However, I would assign it out of the classroom for later discussion.