• Join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other Bulls fans!

Men's Golf: AAC Championship, May 1-3

BULLS BEGIN CONFERENCE TITLE DEFENSE SUNDAY

April 30, 2016 
By  USF
Print

EVENT: American Athletic Conference Championship
WHEN: Sunday-Tuesday (18 holes each day)
WHERE: Black Diamond Ranch Quarry Course (par-72, 7025 yards), Lecanto, Fla.
TWITTER UPDATES: @USFMensGolf, @American_MWGolf
LIVE SCORING
CHAMPIONSHIP CENTRAL

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

LECANTO, Fla., APRIL 30, 2016 – No. 13/15 USF will shoot for its second consecutive American Athletic Conference Men’s Golf Championship win in a familiar place.

Head coach Steve Bradley’s Bulls are back at Black Diamond Ranch, where they went 27-under and posted a 13-shot victory last spring. The 54-hole event takes place Sunday through Tuesday and USF is seeking its fourth tournament win of the season.

“The guys know the golf course. They’re familiar with the type of (Bermuda) grass and it’s great being only an hour and 10 minutes away,” Bradley said. “There is a certain comfort level.”

OBDWTHMQSIHHMWI.20160430155851.jpg

Senior Aksel Olsen will lead USF’s lineup that includes senior Chase Koepka, sophomore Claudio Correa, junior Rigel Fernandes and sophomoreCristian DiMarco. Koepka, Correa and Fernandes played on the conference championship team last season and helped the Bulls advance to the NCAA Championship final rounds for the first time in program history.

“I’m pretty excited about where we are golf game-wise,” Bradley said. “I know they’re eager to get in there and kind of prove themselves this year. What happened last year is over with and they’re looking forward to try and win another championship.”

Bradley said the Bulls “need to bring their ‘A’ game” to top a talented conference field that features No. 35 Houston, No. 39 Memphis, East Carolina, Cincinnati, UConn, UCF, Temple and Tulsa. Like USF, Houston has captured three titles this season while East Carolina, Houston and Memphis have two wins apiece.

“It’s pretty deep,” Bradley said. “I think we’re going to have four teams make NCAA Regionals and that’s good for our conference. If you look at what Houston, East Carolina and Memphis have done, they’re all pretty competitive.”

USF is set to tee off on the front nine Sunday at 8:50 a.m. Fans are welcome to watch the Bulls chase after the conference crown. Admission to the event is free and live scoring can be accessed HERE

Members do not see this ad, Register

Here is a snapshot of where we are right now. We are 10 under, have a 14 shot lead, we have the overall leading player, and we have 4 players in the top 3 (because of ties, this is possible). 

Dare I say that between Men's Tennis and Men's Golf, we have a fighting shot at a national championship this year. 

Just now, Ricky the Bull said:

Mama!  Slap your hand

Mama!  Slap your hand!  :)

I had my annual physical today and have a tough time walking because of my hip. So, it's hard to get around. 

However, If I'm at all able, I hope to make the final day of the tourney, so I can slap all the USF hands. LOL