• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's 4-2-5 defensive scheme will stay

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

17 minutes ago, BucsandBulls said:

Against Navy I would really like to see us go to a single high true safety and then go to a 4-3 front and still keep the husky/striker in as well. 

Navy is going to be a different team now.  Keenan was one of the main problems defenses had against Navy.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 minutes ago, Dogma said:

Navy is going to be a different team now.  Keenan was one of the main problems defenses had against Navy.

Navy will still be a team that hits hard on D, but I agree their offense will take a step back (although I am hearing that their new QB is no slouch). 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Navy will still be a team that hits hard on D, but I agree their offense will take a step back (although I am hearing that their new QB is no slouch). 

6a00d8345275cf69e2013488c3f206970c-300wi

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

6a00d8345275cf69e2013488c3f206970c-300wi

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Friggin classic. I could quote from the flick all day. 

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Agree. At least stack the box and try forcing them to throw.

BTW - the Husky will be called Stinger in the new 4-2-5.

Joey mentions in his article that it will be called "Striker".

USF adds bite to 'Bull Sharks' defense

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:02pm

Sickles quarterback Chris Oladokun embraces his father, Henry, after committing to USF during a signing day ceremony at the northwest Hillsborough County high school.

LOREN ELLIOTT | Times

Sickles quarterback Chris Oladokun embraces his father, Henry, after committing to USF during a signing day ceremony at the northwest Hillsborough County high school.

TAMPA — While a couple of nameplates have changed in the Bulls' coaches offices, schemes won't. USF's defense is remaining dorsal.

Coach Willie Taggart confirmed at Wednesday's signing day news conference the Bulls will retain the alignment (4-2-5) and nickname ("Bull Sharks") implemented last season by former defensive coordinator Tom Allen. Taggart promoted longtime assistant Raymond Woodie to coordinator in January when Allen left for the same job position at Indiana.

"That wouldn't do us any justice right now, to go and just change everything," said Taggart, who watched his team finish fourth in the American Athletic Conference in total defense (380.5 ypg) and record the third-most interceptions (17) in school history.

Among the signees who could contribute immediately are Admiral Farragut S Craig Watts, whom Taggart said will compete for the de facto nickel-back spot vacated by Jamie Byrd. Previously called the "husky," Taggart said it's now called "striker."

"That's what they do, they strike people," Taggart said. "(Watts) will be there at the striker position, him and (Lake Wales signee) Josh Dunn both."

More: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-stays-with-bull-sharks-defense/2264000

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

I think the NAvy game cant all be put on the defense as our offense was ineffective due to Quinton Flowers and Marlon Macks injuries. I think that game could have easily been a 40-20 win with healthy offense.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508

19 hours ago, Ionbull said:

Clearly worked with flying colors against the spread offenses of the American, like Tom Allen wanted. We have he playmakers to make it happen and it's the system the guys all bought into. Think it's great for the personnel and looking forward to seeing what CRW can do with it. Curious if Jancek has any experience with it though.

They ran the 4-2-5 at Tennessee, so yes he does.  

16 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I think the NAvy game cant all be put on the defense as our offense was ineffective due to Quinton Flowers and Marlon Macks injuries. I think that game could have easily been a 40-20 win with healthy offense.

Agreed

I do believe USF would have won if both would have been healthy.

...Ah, what could have been.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Days Won:  0

Does anybody know if Derrick Coleman is coming back? Could be a beast at DT!