• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ICYMI: Alan Dell: Life couldn't be better for former Manatee High football coach Joe Kinnan

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Alan Dell: Life couldn't be better for former Manatee High football coach Joe Kinnan

Joe Kinnan has shown it's never too late to hit the trifecta of life.

Last week, the former Manatee High football coach received the Florida Athletic Coaches Association's Dub Palmer Award for his outstanding service to the sport.

It followed the good news from his doctors, who told Kinnan he was cancer-free after multiple surgeries that included removal of part of his kidney.

All of that was preceded by the standout season Kinnan had in helping the USF football team and his former pupil, Willie Taggart, get to its first bowl game since 2010.

FACA honored Kinnan for his five state championships and 290 victories at Manatee in building the program into a national power.

Kinnan has always been praised for being an innovative person, but he may have done his best job in reinventing himself at the age of 70, though you could say he just upgraded what was already an elite model.

"It was a lot of work, but certainly very fruitful," Kinnan says. "We were making so many changes, it took considerably longer than normal. Hopefully next year won't be as rigorous as the time we had to spend because now we are pretty much on the same page."

Kinnan left Manatee after the 2013 season and

joined Taggart's staff as senior offensive consultant last spring. It was a chance to say thanks to the person who quarterbacked Manatee to a state title and two state championship games during the mid 1990s.

"I inject my two cents worth of what we are doing and how we are doing it," Kinnan said. "I look at and analyze and evaluate and watch practices and make comments about the things that I see."

Rest of story

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Great write up over-all .     Couldn't help but notice this in the article "Quinton Flowers ran for 991 yards and was ranked fourth among FBS quarterbacks in averaging 76.2 yard per carry."   Yowza !   This typo gave me a chuckle... Ha!

Edited by mellobull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I do give a lot of credit to Kinnan.  Taggart needed help badly on x's and o's.