• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

The future of college football ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

39 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Message board topics evolve.  Maybe even more so on TBP than most other message boards (this is the only one I go to, so I don't know).  

But if you don't think a discussion on declining interest in the sport of college football is relevant to a message board thread titled "the future of college football," I'm not sure which direction to go to help you.  

How about creating a new thread?  Shocking concept, I know.  

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On 1/18/2016 at 3:19 PM, Bausfkid said:

Sorry Data, if you want to only scratch the surface of the issue I guess it's about ESPN losing viewership.  A cough is typically indicative of other issues, but heck, let's treat the cough.

No, the article is about the effect on college football as ESPN loses cable viewership.  My position, as stated ad nauseum, is that ESPN losing cable viewership hardly means that college football media dollars will go down.  I went into this in depth.  The article this thread is based on does not discuss declining interest in the sport.

I think it is quite clear, and there is plenty to discuss on this topic and would be plenty to discuss in the alternate topic in another thread.

On 1/17/2016 at 1:37 PM, DataBull said:

Again, the same argument was made for the "dilution" of TV advertising revenue when cable came along a many more channels became nationwide.  This is exactly the same scenario, except that we are talking world wide instead of nationwide.  The dollars will be there in some form or fashion, and they will be larger than they are today.  

I do think we will see the dollars flatten or possibly shrink a bit in the next few years until the new streaming markets take hold, but that is temporary.   More eyeballs ultimately means more dollars.  Always has, always will.

This is where we disagree (and may have to just agree to disagree)...

I don't believe the dollars will be there in some fashion over the long term.  Cord cutting is affecting ESPN first because it heavily leveraged it's carriage fees as the basis for overpaying for all of the sports. 

You are drawing a comparison to cable versus broadcast in the 1980s....

Instead, I think the comparison we should look at is newspapers in the 2000s... revenue fell off like a rock because subscribers declined... papers merged, closed, downsized.  Nothing is online revenue is no where near what it was for print...   As such, while someone will take ESPN's place, they won't pay nearly as much as ESPN - streaming revenue will not be near what it was for cable subscribers.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Its crazy to me that Alabama had the same $30million TV/Conference payout as Kentucky and Vandy! They should create different tiers based on performance, assuming no University is allowed to create their own network. 1st place gets 20% of the total revenue, 2nd place 15% and so on...

I believe that ND, BYU and Texas are the only 3 with their own Networks.  Let the big boys make most of the revenue. They carry College Football and should be compensated accordingly.

This way a program like USF will have the opportunity to be team #18 in the B12 without being a huge liability. Kansas football should not be making the same as Oklahoma football, period.

Blow it all up!

Create a tier 1 conference of the top 20-30 top independent Universities making $100 million dollars a year

Create a tier 2 conference of the 31-60 remaining top Universities making $30 million dollars a year

and so on.      

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,606
  • Days Won:  51

5 hours ago, Bulls1181 said:

Its crazy to me that Alabama had the same $30million TV/Conference payout as Kentucky and Vandy! They should create different tiers based on performance, assuming no University is allowed to create their own network. 1st place gets 20% of the total revenue, 2nd place 15% and so on...

I believe that ND, BYU and Texas are the only 3 with their own Networks.  Let the big boys make most of the revenue. They carry College Football and should be compensated accordingly.

This way a program like USF will have the opportunity to be team #18 in the B12 without being a huge liability. Kansas football should not be making the same as Oklahoma football, period.

Blow it all up!

Create a tier 1 conference of the top 20-30 top independent Universities making $100 million dollars a year

Create a tier 2 conference of the 31-60 remaining top Universities making $30 million dollars a year

and so on.      

eb25965b71e26c87146427365424bef9f647d202

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

13 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

eb25965b71e26c87146427365424bef9f647d202

:GoBulls: Ha!

I just read what I wrote... maybe the latter!