• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

UCONN also may be without a key player. Moriah Jefferson suffered a hamstring injury the other day and is very doubtful to play against Houston today. They will likely keep her out of that game hoping that she is able to play against USF.

Even if both Alisia and Moriah play on Sunday, I don't expect that either will be near 100% healthy to play at their normal game level. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, Bulls_Fan09 said:

I agree that this was the best game of the season other than how Courtney played. A deadball rebound is when a shooter is shooting 2 free throws and a player gets the "rebound" after the first shot is missed.

So the player standing flat footed and simply taps the ball back to the ref gets credit? Which brings the next question - Why?

1. For me, this was the best game we've played since the tournament last year. Every player seemed to have a little more pep in their step. Everybody contributing and not waiting for Courtney to score. Laksa was sick!

2. Coach said that mri's all came back negative and a lot depends on her ability to play thru pain. He then mentioned something about this being her first sprain on that ankle. I don't know if that means something as far as the healing process.

3. What the heck is a "deadball rebound"? We had one listed on the first half stat sheet last night.

According to Massey, USF has a 5% chance of winning. His projected score is UCONN 81 USF 62 (19 points).

So far, the best anyone has done against UCONN is ND and Maryland who both lost by 10. The next best is DePaul who lost by 16.

So, even a 15 point loss by USF to UCONN would be considered very respectable, since they are beating their  opponents by an average margin of 37 points. 

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

1. For me, this was the best game we've played since the tournament last year. Every player seemed to have a little more pep in their step. Everybody contributing and not waiting for Courtney to score. Laksa was sick!

2. Coach said that mri's all came back negative and a lot depends on her ability to play thru pain. He then mentioned something about this being her first sprain on that ankle. I don't know if that means something as far as the healing process.

3. What the heck is a "deadball rebound"? We had one listed on the first half stat sheet last night.

I'm not sure why it counts as a rebound, It doesn't actually go down In their stats I don't believe but I guess that it has always existed, but I've never seen that term used before on a statsheet.

Edited by Bulls_Fan09

8 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

UCONN also may be without a key player. Moriah Jefferson suffered a hamstring injury the other day and is very doubtful to play against Houston today. They will likely keep her out of that game hoping that she is able to play against USF.

Even if both Alisia and Moriah play on Sunday, I don't expect that either will be near 100% healthy to play at their normal game level. 

I really hope that Jefferson is out, but they have so much depth it won't make that much of a difference overall.

1 minute ago, Ned A Starr said:

I doub't Jose would risk the rest of her season/career one game against UCONN.

It's only a sprained ankle, it's not like she's gonna re-injure it and have her career or even season ruined. The question is about whether or not she is healthy enough to even play efficiently, without too much pain.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,606
  • Days Won:  51

23 minutes ago, Bulls_Fan09 said:

I'm not sure why it counts as a rebound, It doesn't actually go down In their stats I don't believe but I guess that it has always existed, but I've never seen that term used before on a statsheet.

What Is a Dead-Ball Rebound?

Steve Kirschner is an associate athletic director at North Carolina, but his basketball career began as a freshman at UConn in 1984, when he kept stats for the men’s team. He explained the three most common ways to get a dead-ball rebound, which never count toward a team’s total.

1. A miss on the first foul shot of a two-shot foul, or the first two shots of a three-shot foul. In this case, the offensive team gets credited with a dead-ball rebound, since it gets the ball back. “It’s just an accountant’s correction,” Kirschner explained.

2. A player shoots the ball and it bounces up and hits the shot clock. That’s a dead-ball rebound to the defense.

3. A player shoots the ball, it bounces off the rim, and the buzzer for the half or game sounds before either team controls the ball. Dead-ball rebound.

“It makes more sense than you think,” he said. “The point is that every missed shot has to have a rebound. And to be able to balance the box score, there needs to be a rebound for every miss. That way you know the box score adds up. It’s kind of like a geometry proof, where the left side has to equal the right side.”

Essentially, Kirschner said, it helped prevent mistakes or fraud. If a box score didn’t balance, you couldn’t guarantee the accuracy of the statistics. This was especially problematic before the mid-’80s, when the first rudimentary computers were introduced. With modern technology, the computers automatically register dead-ball rebounds at the appropriate times and show an error message if the statistician forgets, so there’s rarely an issue with losing count. But before dead-ball rebounds, it was tempting for a lazy statkeeper to fix the missed shot deficit by crediting players with more rebounds than they deserved. Dead-ball rebounds prevented that fraud.

Al Benninger is now 86, and he still lives in Kentucky. He runs a 62-and-over softball league and attends almost every Cardinals home game. In fact, he’s one of those men who maintains a singular devotion to his school,1 and estimates that he’s missed about “five or six home games in 52 years.”

• Upvote 1

8:33 AM - 8 Jan 2016
.@CoachJFernandez said this morning he still doesn't know if Alisia Jenkins (left ankle) will play Sunday vs top-ranked UConn

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

35 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

According to Massey, USF has a 5% chance of winning. His projected score is UCONN 81 USF 62 (19 points).

So far, the best anyone has done against UCONN is ND and Maryland who both lost by 10. The next best is DePaul who lost by 16.

So, even a 15 point loss by USF to UCONN would be considered very respectable, since they are beating their  opponents by an average margin of 37 points. 

UCONN scarfs up rebounds. Without Jenkins on the floor, they may get a lot of second looks and we probably won't. 19 points is pretty justifiable but you never know--I just think we'll need awesome performances AND a little luck of the bounce to sniff a close game or win.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  446
  • Days Won:  0

Jenkins is a good player but her past performances against UCONN are not to good.

2014 -2015  points 0  rebounds  8   fouls  4

8                   9             4

10                     4            2

2013-2014               6                     8           4

1                     4           0

looking at her stats  i would think if we want to keep up scoring with uconn we may be better off with her on the bench

We did score a lot the last 2 games without her.

25 points in 5 games equals 5 points a game which doesn't help.

Edited by JJZbulls