• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"Future appears brighter..."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Is it time to wear shades yet?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I still like COA. He has good coaching chops, good coaching pedigree, and is an excellent front-man for the program. I wonder sometimes if too much of his time is taken up coaching international stuff but in general he's shown an aggressive approach to training our guys up, and the quality is improving. Like CWT, some of the players he's getting are "above grade" for our team, so I think maybe one or two more seasons of buy-in and some quality W's, and he's getting our team into at least NIT shape.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

Here is what I'm thinking from a critical stand point. UConn and SMU are ranked. Houston is playing well and there is also Memphis to consider. Next year these teams will be pretty much at par with where they are at so, that is 8 games right there that by analysis we probably shouldn't beat next year. So in order to break .500 we would then have to win all but 3 other games. I am a COA fan and a believer in a growing squad, but next year will also be a difficult run. I'd like for us to at least win 8 games, but I'm not holding to hope that we break .500. I'd like to see him keep his job though, to show consistency and growth. He is pulling in kids that are from Florida schools as well, if for nothing else, to help solidify our chances for Florida prospects. It will pay off, but not if we don't let him build a foundation. I think he is trying to grow a culture as well as win. It will be worth the wait.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

At this point I would let Antigua ride out all five years and set a foundation. It wasn't his fault the whole team was basically dismantled when he came on board. I don't want for the next coach to have to do it again. 

Let the first freshmen and sophomore classes go through their full cycle with a nice mix of underclassmen or incoming class then ready to step up.  If we are still floundering after 5 years then make decision, but let's see what he can truly do with a full team that has played together for at least a couple of years.  

Heath had positioned the team, finally, to stop the see-saw and had a nice foundation in place  i truly believe we would have our best team ever this year.  Let Antigua do the same, but that is still 2 to 3 years away  

With the 8th most difficult schedule, our losses have to really be considered as learning an experience as it gets

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I still believe we've got the best coaching staff, top-to-bottom, that we've ever had in basketball. I really think our patience with Antigua will pay off. He was able to get the Dominican Republic, a country more known for baseball, to international basketball respectability. He can do the same here.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,429
  • Days Won:  3

We should definitely hire someone with prior head coaching expedience if we decide to let go of COA next year. Its nerve racking waiting for both the players and head coach to develop.

Edited by zarnozdabull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, zarnozdabull said:

We should definitely hire someone with prior head coaching expedience if we decide to let go of COA next year. Its nerve racking waiting for both the players and head coach to develop.

That's really why I was kind of intrigued by the hire. He's the first non hc hire since I started following the program ...

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

TxKaQLB.gif

Speaking of what he can do if he stays, Oldsmar Christian seems to put out some really good kids and there are a few coming up that will be worth recruiting hard. He seems to be pursuing kids from there, building his relationships and if we keep him long enough I think it can really benefit for us. That's a relationship we will probably lose if we lose COA