• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bench attempts to go pro

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On 1/3/2016 at 4:29 PM, Triple B said:

Pretty telling that you conveniently omitted the next sentence in that paragraph .... "He did what he thought was best for the football team." So did CWT.

I did not "conveniently" omit the next sentence for nefarious reasons.  However, since you brought it up it must need to be explained to you.  It is pretty obvious that Bench felt O'Brien was being direct while Taggart was lying to him.  Therefore the sentence you are pointing out is irrelevant.  Unless you think that Taggart lying by telling Bench he had a realistic chance to win the job was best for the football team.

4 hours ago, Bull94 said:

unfortunately it sounds like he likes playing the victim. always someone else's fault when things don't go his way. he had every opportunity to win the job here. Taggart never wanted to play White as a true freshman. He would have loved if Bench came in and won the job hands down. Bench just wasn't talented enough. sounded like he was bitter at o'brien as well. only difference is o'brien "encouraged" him to transfer while Taggart needed him on the roster. Nobody likes to hear they aren't good enough. There must be some other explanation.

Thanks for all your contributions here and good luck in the NFL

now onto the next great USF backup QB who doesn't get his shot because the coach has it out for him.......

So you were in the meetings with Taggart and Bench and know what was discussed?  

Funny, I didn't think the coaching staff posted stuff on TBP.  Or do you just have really great ESP?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

8 minutes ago, DataBull said:

I did not "conveniently" omit the next sentence for nefarious reasons.  However, since you brought it up it must need to be explained to you.  It is pretty obvious that Bench felt O'Brien was being direct while Taggart was lying to him.  Therefore the sentence you are pointing out is irrelevant.  Unless you think that Taggart lying by telling Bench he had a realistic chance to win the job was best for the football team.

6 minutes ago, DataBull said:

Funny, I didn't think the coaching staff posted stuff on TBP.  Or do you just have really great ESP?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 hours ago, nobullaboutit said:

Do you know Steven Bench that closely that you can pass that kind of judgment on him as playing "the victim". If you do then we must know 2 different people.  

The Steven I know personally has been nothing but a class act!. Remember every writer of an article can put their own spin to make you think something that may not necessarily be true.

You're right. I should have said that the writer of the article portrays him as acting like the victim.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

From Bench's Twitter acct;

Excited to say I'll be playing in the @fbs_bowl all star game in a couple weeks. Miami beach I'm coming back! #WhereTheresAWillTheresAWay

2 hours ago, DataBull said:

No I wasn't and neither were you.

The article quotes make him sound like he was hurt that he wasn't given either starting job. Like I said the only difference between what Taggart did and O'Brien did was that O'Brien "encouraged" him to transfer after spring. He wasn't even going to get a shot at starting in the Fall. Taggart gave him a shot to beat out Flowers and it sounds like his feelings were hurt when Flowers beat him out. Notice Mike white left when Taggart told him the same thing O'Brien told Bench.

The guy had more than one shot to win the job. Unfortunately he didn't and it wasnt some conspiracy or deep seated hate that Taggart had for him.

It was that Flowers was the better QB. I think that much is obvious at this point.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DataBull said:

He did have a realistic chance. It was him against Flowers. Pretty obvious coach made the right call.

Mike White was told he had no shot. He transferred.

3 hours ago, Z Bull said:

"It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln. 

Are you part of CWT's staff  and were you there first hand to hear his comments about not wanting to start White, who by the way touted White's praises and ability as to how much he was going to help the team before he even graduated HS? Do you know Bench personally and did you hear him tell you or someone else that he was not given a fair chance at the QB position and therefore a victim?  Have you compared the total actual game playing time of all the QB's the first and second seasons that CWT and Bench were here to see exactly how much playing time each had each year? Did in fact Bench get equal playing time compared to White and Flowers to get to prove himself?

If you have facts or hard evidence, give them to us, and not just your opinion. Why can't you either just wish Bench well in his endeavor or as the saying goes, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".   I wish him well in all that he does. As I said before, at least he is going to try, as opposed to not trying at all and then later wonder "what if". 

I did wish him well.

Flowers hadn't even started school before Bench had his first live game action with the Bulls.

Bench had 164 pass attempts in actual games to Flowers 13 by the end of last year. White had 215.

Flowers beat out both Bench and White with far less opportunity to prove himself.

i think the fact that Flowers finished as the 27th highest rated passer this year proves that the right decision was made.

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

I have quotes from Bench.  Bull94 was disagreeing with those quotes, with no source.

Nice mixing of apples and oranges, however.  You don't require links when others make assumptions that you agree with, I guess.

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

No I wasn't and neither were you.

The article quotes make him sound like he was hurt that he wasn't given either starting job. Like I said the only difference between what Taggart did and O'Brien did was that O'Brien "encouraged" him to transfer after spring. He wasn't even going to get a shot at starting in the Fall. Taggart gave him a shot to beat out Flowers and it sounds like his feelings were hurt when Flowers beat him out. Notice Mike white left when Taggart told him the same thing O'Brien told Bench.

The guy had more than one shot to win the job. Unfortunately he didn't and it wasnt some conspiracy or deep seated hate that Taggart had for him.

It was that Flowers was the better QB. I think that much is obvious at this point.

I wasn't there, but I have his direct quotes that O'Brien told him the truth unlike the last three years.  

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to interpret that direct quote.  But live in fantasy land with Trip, if it makes you happy.  I call it as I see it, not as I desire it to be.

• Upvote 1