• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

P5 entry, how would it change USF Athletics?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

I would love to be in a P5 conference, for the money, prestige and teams we would play. But let's take a step back and honestly look at where we are.

1. A small and fickle fan base. Yes we packed that game for WV and it was electric, but we still had 35k butts in seats average in our best Big East years. That's not something to brag about.

2. Many put down the AAC as weak. Yet we haven't won the title yet. We still have one of the smallest donor bases in the AAC, never mind a P5

there is a lot to grow and act as a fan base before we think and act like we are too good for the AAC and belong in a P5 conference.

The more relevant number in that regard is averaging 52K in announced attendance during those years, 2007-2009 .... 49K if you add 2010. Still nothing to brag about when compared to traditional schools but not exactly chopped liver, either.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

When talking about attendance and donations in the old days (prior to the current AD), USF was never into self-promotion. So, we don't really know if the Tampa Bay Area is really fickle when it comes to USF Athletics. Certainly, losing games, no bowl for five years and getting ousted from the BCS didn't help attendance and community support.

But I think we are under new management now and have begun a new tradition of winning (I'm wearing Green N Gold glasses).

FSU is coming into town next season. Let's see how attendance shakes out for that game.

I think if we got into a P5, our program would do well. If they can build something in the middle of nowhere like Gainesville, why not Tampa?

It's my opinion that we are still behind in terms of building a large fan base and donors not only because football is still so new to USF, but because of that old philosophy of no self-promotions when it came to USF Athletics and that old paradigm of "we are a serious academic institution; we don't care about athletics." Heck, men's bball almost didn't get started at USF.

Well, it's just my opinion, of course.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 0:56 PM, TimBulla said:

How many fans do you think WV brought? And who made up the USF fans?

USF fans? I'd guesstimate 40%. The bulk of those in attendance were what you termed "Tampa Bay bandwagoners." My point is that the bandwagoner will be more apt to come to games when it's "cool" to do so, or because we're playing a high profile P5 school. If we can get enough bandwagoners to come to games consistently, maybe we can turn them into USF fans. That'd be my hope. Plus, playing in a P5 conference = "mo money, mo money, mo money," like the fellas in GaUSFBulls GIF would say.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

USF would not make it into the P5 now...

UCF + USF deal is NOT going to happen...

We need to dominate the AAC and make a case for ourselves

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

3 minutes ago, Bear said:

good to know you are the decision maker.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

11 minutes ago, Bear said:

enhanced-buzz-3386-1360280391-3.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, TimBulla said:

When talking about attendance and donations in the old days (prior to the current AD), USF was never into self-promotion. So, we don't really know if the Tampa Bay Area is really fickle when it comes to USF Athletics. Certainly, losing games, no bowl for five years and getting ousted from the BCS didn't help attendance and community support.

But I think we are under new management now and have begun a new tradition of winning (I'm wearing Green N Gold glasses).

FSU is coming into town next season. Let's see how attendance shakes out for that game.

I think if we got into a P5, our program would do well. If they can build something in the middle of nowhere like Gainesville, why not Tampa?

It's my opinion that we are still behind in terms of building a large fan base and donors not only because football is still so new to USF, but because of that old philosophy of no self-promotions when it came to USF Athletics and that old paradigm of "we are a serious academic institution; we don't care about athletics." Heck, men's bball almost didn't get started at USF.

Well, it's just my opinion, of course.

I'm curious why you keep repeating USF was never into self-promotion. If you say it enough times, it doesn't make it true. While I think the new AD is doing a great job so far and the previous one had a few deficiencies, you've got a little bit of revisionist history going on to serve your narrative.

http://www.usforacle.com/news/view.php/824697/Bulls-get-green-light-from-downtown

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

21 hours ago, Bear said:

Not sure how long you have been around USF athletics, but they used to say we would never get a football team. Then they said just be happy you have football. No way USF could be. D1 team even at 1AA level. Then they said no way you could compete at the FBS level. All you have are trailers. Then it was, you have no history. No way to get into the Big East. Those spots are for programs with tradition. 

Whether on the field or off, USF has always been about making our own way and building our own traditions. I have no doubt that everything is in place for the next step. Its just a matter of when. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 11:42 AM, TimBulla said:

We all want it, but what would it bring?

Yes, better scheduling is the obvious outcome. But are we going to see a dramatic change in terms of how things are now in terms of attendance numbers at home games for football?

Are more donors going to open up the coin purse?

For me, I want us in a P5 for recruiting and for better opponents for football games. But I've not thought about anything beyond that. Obviously, yes, I'd like to see USF get more money -P5 conference money.

But the biggest question should be this: will the Tampa Bay Area bandwagoners pack the stadium because we are a P5 program?

It would be like an erection lasting more than four hours.

• Upvote 1