• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense Complaints

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

I like Eric Lee but I hope we can develop some of those DEs to get some pressure. Zone defense is predicated on the ability of the front four to get pressure and other K Bronson we got none.  Zach Bullock and D Shawn Hill was kep in check. I thought Josh Black would have been better suited to play the bull. but did not hear his name all season.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Us getting torched for two long TD passes with nary a defender for 20 yards around the receiver was the biggest thing that stood out to me.  Not the defense we saw for the latter 2/3 of the season.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The blown coverages and poor angles on defense are what stood out to me the most. The defense was out of position all game

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, ArmyBull said:

We may just be over analyzing things.  We had a great year but only beat two teams with winning records.  WKU, might have been the best team we faced all year.

THIS!!!!!

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think we went into the game with a good game plan to start with and we kept them in check till about midway through the first half.  Doughty was a little pumped up hence the over throws, but we also were getting a little.  However, they made some adjustments to get him on track and get him into his rhythm by calling some quick hitters and then went to two TEs pretty early. Once they did that we were either not able to counter or just flat our got out coached by a better offensive mind.  I think whatever we were doing was not working and in the 2nd half when Byrd came out we lost a lot of our ability to blitz.

Doughty is the number 1 passing QB, yardage wise, in the NCAA (over 5,000 yards).  No way we were going to hold that team down.  They were averaging 55 points a game.You can't give the that kind of offense and QB that kind of time.  

I think it was a combination of that offense and Doughty being as good as advertised.  I also believe Brohm is one of the best offensive minds in all of college football.  Throw in the fact that for whatever reason we were blowing assignments and coverages for the first time since early in the season and our tackling wasn't great in the 2nd half.  All too much to overcome.

I think our defense was good for most of the year.  The two games that stand out to me and some things that really need be  cleaned up next year are this game and the Navy game.  Not so much that we lost to them, but the performances on defense in both games were really horrendous.  Over 500 passing yards in this game and 3 guys over 200 yards vs Navy.  Just keep those offensive performances to simply above average and we probably win both games.  

I think the defense gets better next year in their second year in the system.  I think this was a good learning experience for Allen and the defense and gives them a lot to be hingry for next year which in turn serves as a good motivation to get them to the next level.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

We weren't getting to Doughty enough to rattle him. Or rather, we were in the first half to get him off his game, but once he settled in, he was *as advertised*. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  682
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Days Won:  6

The main thing that stood out for me was that we bit all 3 times on the pitch back to Doughty and the receivers were wide open.. Gotta stay home boys.

Edited by 79 Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

D backs are concerning going into next year. 

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I just watched the replay on ESPN, which helped with all the things that I missed at the game. When I watched our players before the game, everybody looked lethargic, not pumped like they've been throughout most of the season. And then everybody showed little signs of rust from the long weeks off from a real game.

WKU players wanted the game more and they were up for the challenge. And they were sharp.

All the small negative things added up and bit us. Clearly, we were not the team that had the strong run of good victories. That's not to take anything away from WKU, as they are very good.

It's a good year. Let's regroup and come back stronger next year! GO BULLS!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

But when you got crap like this it doesn't help.

1780783_947984645271198_674564706543253676_n.jpg