• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This Bowl Looks Pathetic On Television!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, deadudea said:

Wow, you guys are complaining about the USF fans even though this was the largest turnout for a bowl game? While you're all sitting at home watching on TV... The USF sections were loud for the majority of the game, apart from the boring second quarter. Yeah the announcer, cameras, angles, scoreboards all sucked, but don't blame the fans that showed up because it didn't translate to TV, blame ESPN or whatever for that.

I was at the game. There were more empty seats than Bulls fans. Not blaming the fans that bothered to show up..Just pointing out the likely reason as to why there were several thousand that did not.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

18 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If this game was in the Orange Bowl/ Dolphins stadium it would have looked like a USF home game in terms of numbers...not good. This was the appropriate venue even with all of its quirks

+1

This venue is perfect for the G5 teams

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433

keithroby....you sound like a younger fan.  The Bulls and student turnout was far beyond expected.  BTW....all 500 tickets of Coach T's offer were claimed.  All buses to Miami sold out.  All this and the fact that school is not in session and people go home for the holidays.  It was also the largest tailgate that the USF Alumni association ever hosted.

Miami is also a VERY expensive city for lodging, drinks and food.

About the PA announcer....this guy is actually very well known.  He is the same guy that has been doing the Hurricanes games (even dating back years ago in the Orange Bowl days).  He was hyping both teams on plays (which he is supposed to do during bowl games).

All in all this was a win for the fan base to be ready for more future bowls.  Had we have gotten super lucky and had Houston's spot, we would not have been 'bowl ready' as a fan base.  This was a nice build up for next year.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

38 minutes ago, deadudea said:

Wow, you guys are complaining about the USF fans even though this was the largest turnout for a bowl game? While you're all sitting at home watching on TV... The USF sections were loud for the majority of the game, apart from the boring second quarter. Yeah the announcer, cameras, angles, scoreboards all sucked, but don't blame the fans that showed up because it didn't translate to TV, blame ESPN or whatever for that.

I had a great time at the game, and I felt we were loud throughout. Looking back at the game on DVR, I can see that the broadcast seemed to deemphasize the noise at Marlins Park. The sight angles are what you'd expect for a football game being played in a baseball stadium--terrible. The game itself, however, was fun. Our USF fanbase was in it, all the way to the end. One thought I couldn't help shake, our defense looked like they did at the Sun Bowl--hung over. Simply speculation on my part, but our kids were winded.

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118

17 minutes ago, wagers said:

keithroby....you sound like a younger fan.  The Bulls and student turnout was far beyond expected.  BTW....all 500 tickets of Coach T's offer were claimed.  All buses to Miami sold out.  All this and the fact that school is not in session and people go home for the holidays.  It was also the largest tailgate that the USF Alumni association ever hosted.

Miami is also a VERY expensive city for lodging, drinks and food.

About the PA announcer....this guy is actually very well known.  He is the same guy that has been doing the Hurricanes games (even dating back years ago in the Orange Bowl days).  He was hyping both teams on plays (which he is supposed to do during bowl games).

All in all this was a win for the fan base to be ready for more future bowls.  Had we have gotten super lucky and had Houston's spot, we would not have been 'bowl ready' as a fan base.  This was a nice build up for next year.

The turnout based on previous Bulls turnouts is no way to base your expectations, and I went to USF before football was even close to reality for whatever that's worth. I was simply stating that an OCS would've helped substantially. I know the lower tiered bowls have difficulty filling stadiums, but this was a freakin baseball park with the upper bowl empty, and about 30% of the lower bowl empty as well. 

As for the PA announcer, he still sucked for reasons I already outlined. I'm sure he sucked at the Orange Bowl too.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, keithroby said:

It's the lack of an OCS. The biggest thing an OCS does is create the mythos of Saturday football in the Fall. It's part of college life, and USF doesn't have that. It's sentenced to commuter school hell by having RJS as their home field. Frankly, had we had an OCS, there would've been a lot more students in the crowd, because they would've been in attendance with greater frequency in the regular season, and finished it off right by making a trip down to Miami. 

uhhhh....ok....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,108
  • Days Won:  6

I, for one, am pretty tired of the attendance shaming going on.

It serves no purpose because, and I hate this term - "it is what it is".

The fans at the game were numerous and loud. I was proud of our fans yesterday.  We dwarfed the WKU fans (who had to travel much farther).  Fans are still recovering from the last 4 of 5 years of crappy football and will return as we start winning more consistently.

I have have season tickets and in the last few years I have just gone to games to hang out with my friends.  I did not cheer on the defense or offense, it was too depressing (no point) but i was there.  I did not blame others for not showing up.  The play on the field was not fun to watch but I knew the fans would come back some day and I welcome them.

Next year we have UCF, Navy, FSU and ECU (who travels I hear).  God willing an AAC championship game.  I think you will see an uptick in attendance as we start winning more than 1 home game a year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,006
  • Days Won:  38

The PA announcer was hilarious! He was driving me insane by the 3rd QTR. I don't think his MIC was turned up too much, but he was shouting into it.

DA GAIN WAS 2 YARDS. DA RUN WAS BY MACK. DA TACKLE WAS BY...

Seriously loved the bowl trip though. Got some great Miami downtown pics and learned the metro rail and free downtown mover thing.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

52 minutes ago, keithroby said:

The turnout based on previous Bulls turnouts is no way to base your expectations, and I went to USF before football was even close to reality for whatever that's worth. I was simply stating that an OCS would've helped substantially. I know the lower tiered bowls have difficulty filling stadiums, but this was a freakin baseball park with the upper bowl empty, and about 30% of the lower bowl empty as well. 

As for the PA announcer, he still sucked for reasons I already outlined. I'm sure he sucked at the Orange Bowl too.

How would playing a bowl game at Miami's OCS have made anything different yesterday at the Miami Beach bowl?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, mark_my_words said:

The scoreboard operator was the worst.  Slow to make updates and frequently wrong.   The whole game I was lost as to down and distance because I was sitting in the end zone.

I absolutely hated this venue for football.   Most of the seats we not even gabbing the field. 

The scoreboard was HORRIBLE.

It became a running joke during the game.

1at and 10.  Announcer calls a 3 yard game, the scoreboard read 2nd and 8 (OK, that's not too bad but..)

Next down, would be a 3 yard gain, suddenly it reads 3rd and 1.. then 4th and 10, then 1st and 10, then it might be fixed by the time the ball is snapped again.

Other times a 2nd and 5 would be a 1st an 10, then a 4th and 10