• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

This Bowl Looks Pathetic On Television!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

22 minutes ago, swamprat said:

And what was that smell?

Miami so without further description, my guesses are:

1) Santeria live animal sacrifice

2) Burnt cafe Cubano

3) Someone smoking a blunt

4) Also could have been our defense

Edited by George Jenkins
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Days Won:  3

I couldn't believe how often the stadium announcer would continue to talk after the teams would snap the ball.  I seriously think there was at least two plays where he said penalty markers are down while the play was still in progress.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,590
  • Days Won:  3

That sucks because I thought the atmosphere was pretty cool. Loved that venue, glad I went.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

The venue in person was great.  From the posts on here it didn't translate to TV.  I was actually thinking this place would be a good option for the Hurricanes football team rather than Sun Life Stadium.  Seemed like 10k Bull fans were here.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  682
  • Content Count:  7,594
  • Days Won:  6

Attendance was over 21,000 according to the box score.  I'm guessing there was actually 17,000 to 19,000 in the seats and yes, agree about 9,000 to 10,000 were repping the green and gold.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Part of the reason for the baseball stadiums is attendance for these smaller bowls. 21,000 in Marlins Park looks and sounds ok. In Sunlife or Rayjay? Awful. 

Also, I enjoyed the stadium and thought the bowl organizers worked hard to provide a quality experience. Ran into a couple band kids after the game while out to eat and they were so thankful for the experience and how great it was. My guess is that our team had a good time too, game notwithstanding.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118

17 hours ago, mark_my_words said:

There are a lot of bulls fans here and very lively.   Too bad the game isn't going our way.

Given that USF has anywhere between 40 and 48,000 students, the turnout was paltry, period.

10 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Pretty good for a converted baseball stadium.

Worst.  P.A.   Announcer.  Ever.

Agreed. For starters, his mic was turned up way too loud. Secondly, and this is either on him or the script/template he was taught to build his calling of the plays off of...

He'd say something like...

"The pass was complete! By Brandon Daughty to Nicholas Norris. The play was for 14 yards."

And it'd take 5-8 seconds to get that out.

In the big boy world, you'd say something like this:

"Pass to Norris for 13 yards..."

And you'd say it instantly. If the yardage is wrong, who the F cares. All that matters is the yardage on the actual field of play anyway. For the PA announcer to not get in the freaking way, he has to be TIMELY with his calling of the action. And also, and I cannot stress this enough, use AS FEW WORDS AS POSSIBLE. You don't need to say the QBs name. You only need to say the operative words, and soon after, the yardage gained. 

And don't say 'there are penalty markers on the play'. Just say 'there's a flag on the play'. Minimalism. It works best for you when you're blaring all over the stadium. 

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

I couldn't believe how often the stadium announcer would continue to talk after the teams would snap the ball.  I seriously think there was at least two plays where he said penalty markers are down while the play was still in progress.

Also - he seemed to explode with glee whenever WKU would net a first down. This isn't bumbleF Kentucky. This is a bowl game with TWO contestants 1000 miles away from KY. Facts. Live, them, mr. PA guy...

Edited by keithroby

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

If this game was in the Orange Bowl/ Dolphins stadium it would have looked like a USF home game in terms of numbers...not good. This was the appropriate venue even with all of its quirks. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  225

Wow, you guys are complaining about the USF fans even though this was the largest turnout for a bowl game? While you're all sitting at home watching on TV... The USF sections were loud for the majority of the game, apart from the boring second quarter. Yeah the announcer, cameras, angles, scoreboards all sucked, but don't blame the fans that showed up because it didn't translate to TV, blame ESPN or whatever for that.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If this game was in the Orange Bowl/ Dolphins stadium it would have looked like a USF home game in terms of numbers...not good. This was the appropriate venue even with all of its quirks. 

It's the lack of an OCS. The biggest thing an OCS does is create the mythos of Saturday football in the Fall. It's part of college life, and USF doesn't have that. It's sentenced to commuter school hell by having RJS as their home field. Frankly, had we had an OCS, there would've been a lot more students in the crowd, because they would've been in attendance with greater frequency in the regular season, and finished it off right by making a trip down to Miami.