• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFN Picks USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

I have a feeling......that Coach Allen will have a fire burning bright in these young men's hearts. Because they know, it's a long run home if they fail.

Allen didn't have an answer for Navy so he is not the defensive mastermind everyone thinks he is around here.  I love the guy and he a tremendous improvement over Meatloaf but he has a lot of talent to work with and as a Bull I expect our D to be stout every year.

That being said, this is not Navy.  Teams that run all the time traditionally seem to give us more trouble that pass happy teams and we feast off the spread.  I do not think WKU has faced a D like this (except LSU) and their record and stats are bloated based on the competition they faced.  (Old Dominion, Rice, North Texas, FAU, FIU are not exactly murderer's row).

Is their offense better than Memphis (24 pts allowed)?  Cinci (27 points allowed in garbage time)? Navy(29 pts)? SMU (14)?  

They will score points but I think we out pace them. I think they top out in the high 20's low 30's and we will break 40.   

The only thing that concerns me is the rust factor.  We will know pretty quick if we are starting flat.  WKU is loaded with CWT's recruits and they will not start flat because they have something to prove.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

5 hours ago, mark_my_words said:

Allen didn't have an answer for Navy so he is not the defensive mastermind everyone thinks he is around here.  I love the guy and he a tremendous improvement over Meatloaf but he has a lot of talent to work with and as a Bull I expect our D to be stout every year.

A DC's job is to keep the opposing team to less points than we have. Allen masterminded a game plan that was doing just that. We were up 17-16 going into the 4th quarter, against a team that had been averaging 38 pts a game. A brain fart on ST and another by a defensive player facilitated Navy winning that game .... a game where the offense contributed a whopping 7 points. Obviously the defense could have played better, just as they could have in the other 3 losses, but to single out the Navy game out as some sort of extra blight on what Allen has done this year, to me , is kind of ridiculous ...

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Allen is absolutely the best DC we've had since Burnham.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

A DC's job is to keep the opposing team to less points than we have. Allen masterminded a game plan that was doing just that. We were up 17-16 going into the 4th quarter, against a team that had been averaging 38 pts a game. A brain fart on ST and another by a defensive player facilitated Navy winning that game .... a game where the offense contributed a whopping 7 points. Obviously the defense could have played better, just as they could have in the other 3 losses, but to single out the Navy game out as some sort of extra blight on what Allen has done this year, to me , is kind of ridiculous ...

Navy rushed for 428 yards and had three 100 yard rushers in that game.  

A few people thought Allen would put together some sort of defensive scheme for their rushing attack and if he did it did not work.  That was the context of my statement. 

We lost that game and we had no answer for their ground game.  I'd rather not play the "if only" game. 

Look, Allen is a good to great DC but he has a lot of talent to work with (which he is doing an excellent job if coaching up) but I don't think we have played well against the run.   Navy was one example so I'll throw in FSU. Another game we got trampled. 

Anyway,  passing teams we fare better against so that is good considering who we are playing. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, ssgCraigO said:

No way WCU puts 40 on our D. These homers are *******  hilarious with their predictions. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No way WCU puts 40 on our D. These homers are *******  hilarious with their predictions. 

Yeah, I felt the same way. A few have us getting blown out.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

It's really amazing to me how we get so little respect to win this game. Vegas is against us and most sports writers and TV talking heads are against us.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/16

So, it comes down to this: do we Bulls know our team or are we completely wrong?

I finally got ESPN3 to work correctly and I watched the replay if the WKU and Southern Miss game.

WKU hasn't seen anything like our team...

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Say, maybe the outside world is looking at our record and evaluating our team based on the entire season.

But we Bulls know that everything started to click after the Memphis game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/58

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822

3 hours ago, TimBulla said:

It's really amazing to me how we get so little respect to win this game. Vegas is against us and most sports writers and TV talking heads are against us.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/16

So, it comes down to this: do we Bulls know our team or are we completely wrong?

I finally got ESPN3 to work correctly and I watched the replay if the WKU and Southern Miss game.

WKU hasn't seen anything like our team...

Bold statement is false. They've seen better (LSU).