• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

AAC expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Ummm..I think we saw this movie already and it sure didn't end that way.

It doesn't appear some of our newer members caught a viewing. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

I wonder, in all honesty, just how much recruiting there is for the service academies?  It should be obvious that the top tier high school athletes are not bound for the service academies in droves, as we see for P5, much less G5, schools, yes? Seems to me that if football is indeed your ticket to ride, the academic and social requirements of the service academies would be more of a deterrent than anything else. Not to put too fine of an edge on it, but if it's that hard to avoid violating 'team rules' - the service academy regimen is uphill all the way. I'm just not sure how much sincere the 'recruiting' is - against the likes of Tejas & Okie-la-homie , given this. But the AF coach/AD comments sound a lot better than "Well, you know...there's that whole IQ thing, and we just feel...". : 

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/21/5736040/college-football-military-service-academies

On the surface, that's true. Calhoun and the coaches at Army and Navy go out in search of the best football players in the country to come to their schools, just like the coaches at every other Division I program. But it comes with a caveat: "just, the filters that are involved are a lot stronger."

Just a few of those filters:

• Academics. At Air Force, prospective players need to have at least a 3.5 high school GPA, a 25 on the ACT in all subjects, and a minimum of a 1200 two-part SAT score. Requirements are similarly rigorous at the other service academies. Lt. Col. Gaylord Greene, who works in admissions at Army, said coaches will often encourage recruits to take more core courses, since the school requires more of them for entry than most others do.
  • Height and weight requirements. They differ slightly by academy, but at Air Force, a 6'4 applicant cannot weigh more than 221 pounds for admission -- and must also not weigh more than that upon graduation. In some cases at the academies, athletes can be over the height or weight limits but must still adhere to stringent body fat restrictions. This makes recruiting offensive linemen very difficult. "I'd love to have a bunch of 320-pound guys with good feet," Calhoun said. "We've never had a 285-pound kid, which is very small for a Division I offensive lineman. We usually average 255 pounds with our offensive line."
  • Mandatory military service. Unlike players who sign a normal scholarship tender, athletes at the service academies sign on to serve in active military duty after college. As expected, that "is a turnoff for a lot of kids," according to new Army head coach Jeff Monken.

Apply the academic filter, and suddenly the pool of prospects shrinks. The academies are forced to recruit similar kids as Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, and the Ivy League schools, yet none of those schools have to also worry about the additional filters of weight limits and mandatory military service.

Edited by WoolyBully
verbiage
  • Upvote 2

That's sort of my take on it. I highly doubt there are many kids out there sitting down with their families going, "You know, Oklahoma wants me bad and so does Air Force...what should I do mom and dad?"

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

the landscape has changed a lot in 3 years. They backed out before UCF won the Fiesta bowl. Before multiple AAC teams in the top 25 pretty much dominating the G5. Before when the MWC looked to be deeper than Boise and SDSU. Tell me, if they join, who is going to stand out in that conference? It would essentially be a weaker western Cusa

Edited by CaliforniaBull
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the landscape has changed a lot in 3 years. 

You're right, now the MWC pulls in more than we do. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,606
  • Days Won:  51

But CaliforniaBull already said he was positive they would join????

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

If we were going to add anyone, I'd like to see Northern Illinois. Been a respectable football program for a while, and would make for a great trip to Chicago.

NIU is in DeKalb, Ill., which is about an hour and half west of Chicago But agreed, a trip to DeKalb would definitely be a fun detour from visiting the Windy City.

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

a mega crappy conference

i dont see the point

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,606
  • Days Won:  51

More teams = more conference games = more inventory for TV = more $$ from TV partners

Same amount of teams, just different conf affiliation = same net amount of games = maybe more money for ACC but divided by more mouths