• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Air Force was offered the B12 and turned it down.

here is a quote from their athletic director

"We were approached by the Big 12, and I told them we're not a good fit for that conference. In the Big 12, geography makes sense, the economics make sense, but recruiting makes no sense for us. I can't recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State," Mueh said.

"That's why I turned down the Big 12. I can't do that to my kids, because they'll get beat up. I'd love the extra $12 million or whatever it would be per year from the TV money. And I know how I'd spend the money. I'd build a new soccer stadium, and I'd build a new baseball facility, all in one year. But I can't do that."

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesheadlines/2011/10/10/why-air-force-didn-t-join-big-12-falcons-didn-t-want-to-get-beat-up

This sounds like a very short sighted, and idiotic, decision made by the AF AD, if it's indeed true. But, very happy we have AD's like this leaving room for us :).

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

This sounds like a very short sighted, and idiotic, decision made by the AF AD, if it's indeed true. But, very happy we have AD's like this leaving room for us :).

The service academies have different priorities.  

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

This ^^^^^^^^^^. Plus that decision was several years ago while the BCS and Big East were still around.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

If the Big 12 extended an invite (formal or otherwise) and Air Force refused it then the AD should be fired especially when he spouts off all of the benefits of joining.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We would be expanding by dropping Tulane and Tulsa. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

Tulsa isnt the problem in this conference, Tlane is. Tulsa went 3-0 vs the G5, has a high powered offense, and has a very good basketball team. They have a history of winning the Cusa. Tulane has always sucked in football. Always sucked in basketball. And overall, doesnt bring much to the conference at all. You guys have heard me im sure, here is my pick for expansion. 

Drop Tulane. Add Boise, Colorado st, and Marshall. If we want 16, which i think we could / should, lets get Northern Illinois, and look into picking between Nevada, Toledo, or san diego st. This conference would look great for east west divisions, and im positive those programs would accept. 

West: Houston, SMU, Colorado st, Boise, Tulsa, Northern Illinois, Navy, San Diego st

East : USF, UCF, Cincy, Uconn, Marshall, Memphis, Temple, ECU

That is a stacked conference to me. Not quite P5 yet, but for sure will not be compared to G5 anymore, because i would not be able to name a conference close to us in terms of strength essentially giving us a NY6 spot every year

Edited by CaliforniaBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

Tulsa isnt the problem in this conference, Tlane is. Tulsa went 3-0 vs the G5, has a high powered offense, and has a very good basketball team. They have a history of winning the Cusa. Tulane has always sucked in football. Always sucked in basketball. And overall, doesnt bring much to the conference at all. You guys have heard me im sure, here is my pick for expansion. 

Drop Tulane. Add Boise, Colorado st, and Marshall. If we want 16, which i think we could / should, lets get Northern Illinois, and look into picking between Nevada, Toledo, or san diego st. This conference would look great for east west divisions, and im positive those programs would accept. 

West: Houston, SMU, Colorado st, Boise, Tulsa, Northern Illinois, Navy, San Diego st

That is a stacked conference to me. Not quite P5 yet, but for sure will not be compared to G5 anymore, because i would not be able to name a conference close to us in terms of strength essentially giving us a NY6 spot every year

Love that you are positive those programs would accept. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I would still include Tulsa. Smallest D1 program in the country, little fan support, small stadium, middle of nowhere, etc. Basketball is relevant but that doesn't pay the bills. The only value they have is that they are a good academic school (as is Tulane). 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

We should look at adding San Diego State and Boise. They'd jump to the AAC in a heartbeat if we offered.