• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC expansion

Air Force already turned down offers from B12 and Big East.

Air Force was never offered by the Big 12.

Remember, they are already IN a conference... but there is no reason for them to leave the Mountain West for the AAC.  Travel from Colorado Springs would suck for them.

Army was already in a conference (C-USA) and decided they wanted out because they wanted more freedom to schedule.  Basically anyone would be happy to play Army

BYU has a major problem that will prevent the Big 12 from ever taking them -- and make it impossible to get them into an eastern conference: Sunday.  They need to have all of their athletes home by midnight Utah time in Saturdays.   No travel, no games, nothing on Sundays in any sport ever.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  682
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Days Won:  6

Would love to see the AAC as a national P6 conference with 14 or 16 teams including the 3 academies and the best of the rest, mostly AAC and MWC teams.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

Air Force was never offered by the Big 12.

Remember, they are already IN a conference... but there is no reason for them to leave the Mountain West for the AAC.  Travel from Colorado Springs would suck for them.

Army was already in a conference (C-USA) and decided they wanted out because they wanted more freedom to schedule.  Basically anyone would be happy to play Army

BYU has a major problem that will prevent the Big 12 from ever taking them -- and make it impossible to get them into an eastern conference: Sunday.  They need to have all of their athletes home by midnight Utah time in Saturdays.   No travel, no games, nothing on Sundays in any sport ever.

Air Force was offered the B12 and turned it down.

here is a quote from their athletic director

"We were approached by the Big 12, and I told them we're not a good fit for that conference. In the Big 12, geography makes sense, the economics make sense, but recruiting makes no sense for us. I can't recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State," Mueh said.

"That's why I turned down the Big 12. I can't do that to my kids, because they'll get beat up. I'd love the extra $12 million or whatever it would be per year from the TV money. And I know how I'd spend the money. I'd build a new soccer stadium, and I'd build a new baseball facility, all in one year. But I can't do that."

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesheadlines/2011/10/10/why-air-force-didn-t-join-big-12-falcons-didn-t-want-to-get-beat-up

Edited by Sellular1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106

Adding for the sake of adding makes no sense.

Actually the service academies increase ratings and attendance.  Watch what happens when Navy comes to town.  They would almost definitely put Army in our division and it would be a very popular game attendance wise. 

The league already had 3 teams end in the top 25 (for all the good it did us), that is great but what we also need is increased attendance and the service academies bring out the casual fans and we have a huge base here in town.  I, for one, would love to watch us play them.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  25
  • Days Won:  0

Actually the service academies increase ratings and attendance.  Watch what happens when Navy comes to town.  They would almost definitely put Army in our division and it would be a very popular game attendance wise. 

The league already had 3 teams end in the top 25 (for all the good it did us), that is great but what we also need is increased attendance and the service academies bring out the casual fans and we have a huge base here in town.  I, for one, would love to watch us play.

I totally agree! It's about increasing the exposure to the conference. 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

If we were going to add anyone, I'd like to see Northern Illinois. Been a respectable football program for a while, and would make for a great trip to Chicago.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,325
  • Days Won:  43

Show me a quote from the Big 12 and I'll believe it.

my thoughts too! This must be someone trying to make it look like an offer from Big 12 was there which really wasn't. If there was, then that guy should be fired immediately for turning down all that money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

No way the Big 12 wanted Air Force. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

Show me a quote from the Big 12 and I'll believe it.

sorry a direct quote from the AirForce AD isn't good enough for you.  I actually doubt the B12 would send a paper invitation or one of those 4 foot long checks to AirForce.  I'm sure they had preliminary discussions and the AirForce told B12 they weren't interested.  Either way the fact remains that AirForce had a chance to join the B12 but declined.  Maybe you'd like to call their AD and he can provide you sufficient detail.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106

sorry a direct quote from the AirForce AD isn't good enough for you.  I actually doubt the B12 would send a paper invitation or one of those 4 foot long checks to AirForce.  I'm sure they had preliminary discussions and the AirForce told B12 they weren't interested.  Either way the fact remains that AirForce had a chance to join the B12 but declined.  Maybe you'd like to call their AD and he can provide you sufficient detail.

Yeah, B12 was looking at Airforce. So was the Big East.   They were not interested in joining. 

Edited by mark_my_words
  • Upvote 1