• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How did USF get into the former Big East?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,735
  • Days Won:  3

Jim's summation is on target, but to underscore, no there was no 'package deal' (the continued pairing of USF & UCF is on this board only). 

And yes, luck - even dumb luck - counts...being in the right place at the right time. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Corrected. Sorry. Not enough coffee this morning.

Understand completely!  Good post summarizing our ascent to the Big East too, should have said that in the post where I made the correction.  

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

A good friend of mine who works in athletics (not at either school now, but he was at UCF during this time), says that UCF's athletic department feels basketball was a MAJOR factor in tipping the scales to USF.

I heard that too

Add to that the UCF's facilities were complete garbage at the time (and that's comparing to what USF had at the time) especially their basketball arena.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,421
  • Days Won:  19

We dont need them but it would be great to have them. Travel partner, great rivalry...why not?!  

What does being a travel partner or rivalry have to do with them being in the same conference?

I think you completely missed my point

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

What does being a travel partner or rivalry have to do with them being in the same conference?

I think you completely missed my point

Travel partner has very little to do with Football.  Football is revenue generating and there are only a handful of conference road games.  

The travel issues is a little dicier for basketball, but manageable.  It's when the soccer, softball, baseball, track, cross country, tennis, and golf teams have to travel for conference games it gets bad.  Some of the schools, Baylor and Texas Tech in particular, are in the middle of ******* nowhere.  There may not be more than a single direct flight from Tampa to any of those schools.  So that's tons of travel time.  Having a travel partner would be a nice benefit (ask WVU).

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061

Just be thankful when blessings are received. 

Travel partner has very little to do with Football.  Football is revenue generating and there are only a handful of conference road games.  

The travel issues is a little dicier for basketball, but manageable.  It's when the soccer, softball, baseball, track, cross country, tennis, and golf teams have to travel for conference games it gets bad.  Some of the schools, Baylor and Texas Tech in particular, are in the middle of ******* nowhere.  There may not be more than a single direct flight from Tampa to any of those schools.  So that's tons of travel time.  Having a travel partner would be a nice benefit (ask WVU).

I'm still not seeing the benefit...

non-revenue producing programs seem to have zero impact on WVU

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

We had great guys campaigning for us, no doubt, but our programs were reasonably strong and football, in particular, was growing very well and sustaining winning ways. Our portfolio was pretty strong. It's pretty strong now, too IMO, just wish MBB was about 2-3 years more mature.

We had great guys campaigning for us, no doubt, but our programs were reasonably strong and football, in particular, was growing very well and sustaining winning ways. Our portfolio was pretty strong. It's pretty strong now, too IMO, just wish MBB was about 2-3 years more mature.

correct on all fronts