• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The BB teams will celebrate Hispanic Community with special uniforms.

TAMPA, DEC. 9, 2015 – In a celebration of the Bay Area and USF Hispanic community, USF’s men’s and women’s basketball teams will wear special uniforms for the doubleheader on Sunday at the Sun Dome.

White uniforms with the words “Los Toros” written in green will be worn by the women’s team in their noon game against Chattanooga and by the men’s team in their 4 p.m. game against NC State.

The theme for the doubleheader is Uniendo Los Toros, which in English reads, Uniting The Bulls, a play on USF’s theme Bulls Unite. It will be a celebration and recognition of community and campus members that have had a significant impact in the Hispanic community. Among the recognitions will be the Status of Latinos Committee on campus and the Mayor’s Hispanic Advisory Council in Tampa.

USF is proud to be the only NCAA Division I school with a Hispanic-American leading both its men’s and women’s basketball program. Orlando Antigua, born in the Dominican Republic, is one of only three Hispanic head coaches in NCAA Division I men’s basketball. Jose Fernandez, born in Cuba, is believed to be the only Hispanic head coach in NCAA Division I women’s basketball.

Become a part of a special Sunday for the Bulls by purchasing tickets at USFBullsTix.com.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=2923&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=210572589

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

The BB teams will celebrate Hispanic Heratige with special uniforms.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=2923&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=210572589

It would be better if they celebrated with a win instead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

It would be better if they celebrated with a win instead.

Included women's team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

The theme for the doubleheader is Uniendo Los Toros, which in English reads, Uniting The Bulls,

I'd rather the theme be ¡Apenas Triunfo, Bebé!

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

Celebrating one race, is an odd way to promote UNITY!

Ignoring other races is too. American history is funny that way. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I hope a 2 and 0 day. 

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Celebrating one race, is an odd way to promote UNITY!

Hispanic identity is an ethnicity, not a race.  Most Hispanics in the U.S. identify as white.  Just FYI.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Hispanic identity is an ethnicity, not a race.  Most Hispanics in the U.S. identify as white.  Just FYI.

http://latinousa.org/2014/05/02/invention-hispanics/ Hispanic is crappy term instituted in the 70s by the census bureau. It's not very inclusive. Being Brazilian we end up getting lumped in that category, but have no ties to Hispaniola or Spain. Latino/a is a term that many people are now gravitating toward. It covers everyone of Iberian lineage, and I feel is the more appropriate term.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

http://latinousa.org/2014/05/02/invention-hispanics/ Hispanic is crappy term instituted in the 70s by the census bureau. It's not very inclusive. Being Brazilian we end up getting lumped in that category, but have no ties to Hispaniola or Spain. Latino/a is a term that many people are now gravitating toward. It covers everyone of Iberian lineage, and I feel is the more appropriate term.

I personally agree with you and of course you should identify however you prefer; that just wasn't the term used above (or in the USF article).  The Census does lots of crappy things--it's a hot button of mine based on similar personal experience--but the actuality of how the United States identifies races and ethnicities is important for citizens to recognize and understand.  It certainly doesn't help anyone understand how to actually define these terms appropriately...there is an immense diversity within these categories that we don't honor with these umbrella terms. 

Should USF begin using the term Latino/a instead of Hispanic, do you think?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

I personally agree with you and of course you should identify however you prefer; that just wasn't the term used above (or in the USF article).  The Census does lots of crappy things--it's a hot button of mine based on similar personal experience--but the actuality of how the United States identifies races and ethnicities is important for citizens to recognize and understand.  It certainly doesn't help anyone understand how to actually define these terms appropriately...there is an immense diversity within these categories that we don't honor with these umbrella terms. 

Should USF begin using the term Latino/a instead of Hispanic, do you think?

yes, that is part of a macro trend in higher ed. Working at UF, I know that here they are slowly phasing out Hispanic. A lot of Caribbean students feel like that the term doesn't include them. The US like to lump people into monoliths, and you need to feel like where you are attached in so way to where you are being placed. I don't think Latin Americans have had that Marcus Garvey, Pan-ethnicity moment yet. I think we are moving toward that in some was (see Calle 13 Latinoamerica). I just hope we don't end up loosing our heritage the way Africa Americans have. I don't mean that as a slight or in a pejorative way, but many blacks in the US don't know where their families came from.

Awareness of this topic is relative though. I know growing up in Miami shaped the way I see this topic. Being in a diverse environment help me to understand this in a rudimentary way. Having a degree in History (one of two I received at USF) focusing on Latin America, and Cert in Latin Am studies might help as well.

• Upvote 2