• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shavar Manuel, IMG Academy, 5 star

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, JupiterBull said:

The FSU coach gloating about convincing an 18 year old kid to dupe UF makes me disrespect the coach.  Kid was wrong, too, if true, but it seems he was under a fair amount of pressure to go to both schools.  I hold grown men that are supposed to teach these kids to grown into men to not use them as pawns in revenge games.

Did you read the article? That's not what it said.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, BullMSEE said:

I assume this is the part he's talking about:

The 6-foot-4, 280-pound four-star recruit from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, had been told, according to defensive ends coach Brad Lawing -- who coached at Florida in 2013 and 2014 -- to "play the game" and "tell the **** Gators anything they want to hear."

At that point, Manuel knew he was going to be a Seminole.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

1 hour ago, BullMSEE said:

Here's part of it:

The 6-foot-4, 280-pound four-star recruit from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, had been told, according to defensive ends coach Brad Lawing -- who coached at Florida in 2013 and 2014 -- to "play the game" and "tell the **** Gators anything they want to hear."

Actually, the first article I read was my local paper, the Palm Beach Post, which is what irked me.  I should have posted it instead of the ESPN bit.

http://seminolepost.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/02/04/florida-state-assistant-brad-lawing-didnt-mind-seeing-gators-sweat-out-manuels-decision/

It's a little more detailed, and shows the full quote, not just the excerpt.  Truthfully, people may read all of the info, and still think it's cool.  My opinion is the ex-Gator coach was trying to poke UF by getting Manuel to string them along till the last day (maybe stopping UF from chasing another DT...or not).  I consider that juvenile & dickish...but I'm cool if others here thing Lawing was not teaching Manuel anything bad and that his approach was cool.  I'm certainly not a Gator fan, and my son attends FSU.  So, I don't have a bias...I just think Lawing was bush league, bitter and a tool,

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think it was about poking the Gators, I think it was if he acts like he is committed to the Gators all that time, he isn't going to have coaches and family members constantly recruiting him still to go play for the Gators and can then just make his official flip at the last second without giving anyone any time to try to harass him and flip him back. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

21 minutes ago, BucsandBulls said:

I don't think it was about poking the Gators, I think it was if he acts like he is committed to the Gators all that time, he isn't going to have coaches and family members constantly recruiting him still to go play for the Gators and can then just make his official flip at the last second without giving anyone any time to try to harass him and flip him back. 

Agree with this. Earlier in the article it says that FSU thought they had him and he committed to UF. When the FSU staff contacted him he said he was getting too much pressure to commit to UF.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

5 hours ago, SANJAY said:

Agree with this. Earlier in the article it says that FSU thought they had him and he committed to UF. When the FSU staff contacted him he said he was getting too much pressure to commit to UF.

The coach was gloating about getting the kid to dupe UF.  Now, maybe this theory is true, so maybe the jilted, bitter FSU coach is just spinning it to be a deek.