• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches available?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

When your kicker can't get it past the 15 yard line you have to come up with a scheme. Obviously they kick it short and to the left to try to smother the return man. if he just average is 15 yard return they're starting at the 30 yard line.  It's really not a coaching problem it's a kicker problem. I give the coach credit for coming up with a scheme to get them the best chance to limit long returns .

Watching some of the championship games it appeared a lot of teams were not kicking it through the endzone.  Maybe this is some new strategy but seemed to see a lot of kicks to the same side of the field that we kick to.  Just a guess.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Of the numbers JTrue mentioned, I wonder how many of those starting field positions were affected by penalties.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Of the numbers JTrue mentioned, I wonder how many of those starting field positions were affected by penalties.

I pretty much just went with the box score play-by-play and saw where the kickoff ended up. Highly unscientific and lazy.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

I pretty much just went with the box score play-by-play and saw where the kickoff ended up. Highly unscientific and lazy.

we appreciate the contribution nonetheless 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

we appreciate the contribution nonetheless 

Lazy is right in my wheelhouse.

Watching some of the championship games it appeared a lot of teams were not kicking it through the endzone.  Maybe this is some new strategy but seemed to see a lot of kicks to the same side of the field that we kick to.  Just a guess.

One thing about the style of kicks -- it is actually something that is growing in CFB.  Because most college kickers cannot get the ball THROUGH the endzone.

By kicking it a bit higher, and therefore shorter, it gives the coverage team more time to get down the field and get into position to make tackles.  Yes, it means the chances are they'll be outside the 25, but it also reduces (significantly) the chances of taking one back to the house.

In this way, kickoff coverage is closer to punt coverage... if the ball could go higher, we might see some fair catches.  It will be interesting to see if this trend grows in CFB.

Edited by JimUSFSig

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Lazy is right in my wheelhouse.

Obviously not as lazy as the rest of us that were left to wonder.

BTW - Zobrist, Go Cubs!