• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 12 Might Be Forced to Expand

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

New_Big_12_Map_Small.jpg

Edited by TimBulla

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

If Texas doesn't get its way their going Indy. The Longhorns will become the lonehorns 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I think joining the Big12 would be huge for both schools. It could create an FSU-Miami type rivalry that they have been trying to keep us out of. The conference, money, TV, etc would be huge for the rivalry. We need a 'War on I-4' trophy ASAP. 

Plus it would prevent a WVU type situation if only one were added... an sole member located in an island where travel expenses wold be too high.

Non revenue sports plus basketball would be able to schedule USF and UCF in one weekend.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Wins mean next to nothing. Ask Maryland and Rutgers. Its about TV sets and viewers. Yes, agreed that Houston has little to offer a Big 12 flooded state of Texas for the networks.

Lol.. this coming from a UCF fan???  This actually made me laugh.

You better tell that to your fellow UCF'ers

EDIT: I see GaUSFBull beat me to it

Edited by Dogma

Guest PCBull14

but if it's about tv Florida is full of Midwestern folks, so we should just go to the B1G. I run into more transplants from Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin; than Texas, Oklahoma, and those other Big 12 states. Our home games would be packed every time. :stirpot:

They are going to add eastern based teams because of the market. I actually think WVU would pull for USF. 

I don't think Houston makes the cut. Already enough buzz in Texas with four schools residing there. You could add the USF/UCF combo and make a clear cut line for North and South Divisions.  Texas Teams plus the two Florida Schools in the south and everyone else in the North. Texas avoids a division with Oklahoma and both get a guaranteed away game in Florida each year if scheduling is done correctly.

Only problem is West Virginia, the only school out there that would help mileage problems is Cincinnati. Everyone else is just as far away.

Could even go East/West with Texas, TCU, Baylor, WVU, USF, UCF and in the West Texas Tech, OU, OSU, Kansas, Kansas State Iowa State. 

I hate to admit it, but the USF & Gnats combo looks good. Plus, it's all about TV money.

Look at the B12 right now: Kansas & Kansas State. Oklahoma & Oklahoma State. Texas & Texas Tech. TCU & Baylor.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I hate to admit it, but the USF & Gnats combo looks good. Plus, it's all about TV money.

Look at the B12 right now: Kansas & Kansas State. Oklahoma & Oklahoma State. Texas & Texas Tech. TCU & Baylor.

Yup. It benefits both schools imo. We need to embrace it. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

Hate to say it, but in order of attractive candidates to the big 12 probably are 1. Cincinnati 2. Houston 3. USF 4. Memphis 5. UCF. I just don't see BYU joining a conference, or it would be a toss up with us and them at 3

It's an older article but the arguments are sound.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-big-12-should-go-to-14-teams-070115

1. No conference is expanding unless there is more money to be gained by all the current members of that conference. 

2. The only way the Big 12 expands is if a Big 12 Network happens.

In order for a Big 12 Network to happen, Texas would probably have to give up the Longhorn Network and roll the LHN into a Big 12 Network. That, in essence, I believe, is the root of Oklahoma's grumbling. The Longhorn Network, despite what ESPN would have you believe, is an unmitigated disaster. It created a situation where Texas is on unequal ground with all the other Big 12 conference members.

Right now the Big 12 doesn't have many assets when it comes to a network. It has four teams in Texas, two in Oklahoma, two in Kansas, one in West Virginia and one in Iowa. That's an awful conference television network footprint.

Oklahoma has just 3.9 million people, Iowa has 3.1 million, Kansas has 2.9 million, and West Virginia has 1.85 million. Sure, the state of Texas has 27 million people, but you have to divide that by four teams.

There are five real expansion targets that the Big 12 should consider as part of its network: Cincinnati, Central Florida or South Florida, BYU and Memphis. (Boise State makes no sense because the money isn't substantial. Connecticut might, but it's a long way away geographically. No existing school will leave one of the four major conferences for the Big 12. There just aren't teams that make sense to add after 14 members).

First, Cincinnati is a no brainer. The state of Ohio has 11.6 million people and is football crazy. The Bearcat brand is significant enough to drive interest in the state and you get a natural rivalry with West Virginia. Assuming you could get full distribution in Ohio for the Big 12 Network, adding a team in Ohio would add roughly $46 million in additional revenue.

Second, adding South Florida or Central Florida seems like a no brainer because there are twenty million people in the state of Florida. But the question is, could you get full cable or satellite distribution in Florida with either of these two teams? That is, do fans care enough to demand that their cable or satellite service carry the Big 12 network if you add USF or UCF? (Remember, this has been the Pac 12's problem with its network. Fans just don't care enough.)

That's a roll of the dice. In an ideal scenario you'd figure out which team is likely to be better going forward and which team has the most rabid fan base and then you'd pick that team to add to the Big 12. (Remember, two teams in the same state doesn't make sense in a conference network era). 

But does either school really move the needle by itself?

The state of Florida is worth roughly $80 million a year if you could get a team fully distributed in the Sunshine State. 

Which is why the really interesting play would be adding both schools at once. You get a natural rivalry and double the pressure for cable and satellite companies in the state to carry your network. But if you wanted to maximize revenue, you'd roll the dice on one team.