• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

why isn't there a G5 playoff?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

All participants do have a chance ... There are plenty of systems where all participants have a chance but the chance for some is infinitesimal. Sucks but it's reality.

Examples?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

Examples?

Look no further than the other major collegiate sport ...

Look no further than the other major collegiate sport ...

To use your WKU example, if they win their conference tourney in bball they have a shot at the title through the NCAA tourney whereas in football they would not.  I wold not consider that infintesimal.

Anyway  don't want to keep beating this dead horse as I am not dumb enough to think the system is going to change anytime soon.

My point is that this system is at best unsportsmanlke and not set up in the true "spirit" of collegiate athletics and at worst, corrupt.

I agree it is reality and it does suck.  I'm just surprised that people who have the power to possibly begin to try to change this aren't making more noise about it.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,735
  • Days Won:  3

The only 'change' that those in power want to see, is indeed, inclusion into the P5. That's it. Any sort of playoff at the G5 level would do nothing but further cement the divide between the two leagues. "Oh how cute...those little fellers are going to hand out a trophy". 

It's a simple case of the haves and have-nots. Those on the wrong side of the velvet rope. P5 football is big-business college football. I've always wondered about the MAC. Does Kent State, Bowling Green and Ohio yearn for a P5 invite? Is that even realistic? What if it's not? What if they - and many others - are forever destined to reside in G5 land? Does that necessarily diminish the value of their program? Is it a case of go-big-or-go-home (e.g. shut 'er down)?

I will always remember when Tulane went undefeated (wasn't Shaun King the QB?) and there were those who honest-to-god felt that they should be playing for a NC. No. Sorry. Someone just has to speak up and say congratulations on beating up on the other little guys, but you just don't lift what we need to see for a NC game. Is that fair? In my eyes, yes it is fair. I guess when we say 'having a shot at' we don't want any caveats attached to that. 

Edited by WoolyBully
grammar

The only 'change' that those in power want to see, is indeed, inclusion into the P5. That's it. Any sort of playoff at the G5 level would do nothing but further cement the divide between the two leagues. "Oh how cute...those little fellers are going to hand out a trophy".

It's a simple case of the haves and have-nots. Those on the wrong side of the velvet rope. P5 football is big-business college football. I've always wondered about the MAC. Does Kent State, Bowling Green and Ohio yearn for a P5 invite? Is that even realistic? What if it's not? What if they - and many others - are forever destined to reside in G5 land? Does that necessarily diminish the value of their program? Is it a case of go-big-or-go-home (e.g. shut 'er down)?

I will always remember when Tulane went undefeated (wasn't Shaun King the QB?) and there were those who honest-to-god felt that they should be playing for a NC. No. Sorry. Someone just has to speak up and say congratulations on beating up on the other little guys, but you just don't lift what we need to see for a NC game. Is that fair? In my eyes, yes it is fair. I guess when we say 'having a shot at' we don't want any caveats attached to that.

The P5 views the G5 as lesser whether or not there is a G5 playoff. 

Further, I'm still not clear on how having an actual playoff would preclude the P5 from cherrypicking the better G5 teams and keep those better G5 teams from jumping at the opportunity. 

The P5 views the G5 as lesser whether or not there is a G5 playoff. 

Further, I'm still not clear on how having an actual playoff would preclude the P5 from cherrypicking the better G5 teams and keep those better G5 teams from jumping at the opportunity. 

You mean, like an audition? A chance for the G5 teams to put on a little performance that touts their worthiness for inclusion into P5 membership? There's no guarantee that the P5 would even entertain such thinking, given that they can pick-and-choose as they see fit right now. It's not like P5 is an ever expanding proposition to begin with. A playoff at the G5 level would be blatant screaming "meeee toooo, meee tooo!". While it would provide football junkies with something to watch, I think the 'also ran' appearance would be something the G5 conferences would want to avoid. No reason to make the G5 look worse than it is...given that the P5 has done a pretty good job of that already. 

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 8:41 AM, WoolyBully said:

You mean, like an audition? A chance for the G5 teams to put on a little performance that touts their worthiness for inclusion into P5 membership? There's no guarantee that the P5 would even entertain such thinking, given that they can pick-and-choose as they see fit right now. It's not like P5 is an ever expanding proposition to begin with. A playoff at the G5 level would be blatant screaming "meeee toooo, meee tooo!". While it would provide football junkies with something to watch, I think the 'also ran' appearance would be something the G5 conferences would want to avoid. No reason to make the G5 look worse than it is...given that the P5 has done a pretty good job of that already. 

So we're not "auditioning" now?   So we're playing an entire season for at best a shot at a NYD Bowl and that's the literal end game?

You're right there's no guarantee that they would entertain such thinking as taking the winner of multi G5 playoffs, just as there is no guarantee that they will expand, just like there's no guarantee that they would take the winner of said NYD Bowl,or the most dominant G5 team in general, or the winner of a hypothetical playoff.  There's no guarantee of anything in this corrupt system.

If the trend of P5 teams cutting back games against G5 teams continues then the G5 is going to die and they will have noone to blame but themselves.

"If the trend of P5 teams cutting back games against G5 teams continues then the G5 is going to die and they will have noone to blame but themselves. "

My line of thinking is that we have now, and will indefinitely (my lifetime at least) a segregation between P5 and G5. Even if there were a G5 playoff, I don't see that as a value added proposition, unless you're one of those people who honest-to-god believe there's no such thing as TOO MUCH football. Does the G5 'die'? Maybe not, in the sense that it completely shuts down, but it will be the silver medalist for some time to come. Is that wrong? Is that necessarily bad? What if USF spends the next twenty years in the AAC? I appreciate the pining for an invite to a G5 conference  - and it makes for lively cocktail party conversation - the idea of a playoff for the tier-II teams just strikes me as a little too 'also ran'. 

YES That is wrong, and it is bad, very bad!

We are a Division 1, FBS, or whatever, college football program.

We and every other Div 1 college sports program have an equal chance to win a National Championship in EVERY other collegiate sport in which we compete.

We do not have that equal chance in football.

We have become so conditioned into believing that we are second rate because of lack of tradition, lack of funding, lack of alumni support, lack of community support, etc. etc all of our "shortcomings", whatever they may be, and i do realize we have many of them.

My point is that these factors should not preclude us from eating at the Big Boys table.  Further these factors do not preclude any team in any sport from playing for a championship except in college football.

Look at the Yankees as The University of Alabama and USF as the Tampa Bay Rays: The Yankees have better tradition, better fan support, more money, etc. etc. than TB however they each have an equal chance of playing in the World Series at the end of the day.