• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

why isn't there a G5 playoff?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

So if WKU would win this mythical G5 playoff of yours, they'd have the inside track on getting to a P5 if expansion should occur?

You're missing my point.  Right now we and the rest of G5 have nothing to play for. 

If both USF and Houston were being considered for possible expansion and USF had won multiple G5 playoffs you don't think that would be a factor in expansion if that were to ever occur?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You're missing my point.  Right now we and the rest of G5 have nothing to play for. 

If both USF and Houston were being considered for possible expansion and USF had won multiple G5 playoffs you don't think that would be a factor in expansion if that were to ever occur?

Or, and bear with me, what if USF had gone to multiple NYD bowls because they've been the highest ranked G5 team?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

Missing your point because you did a pretty bad job of making it with your initial blanket statement ... and now that your point is clearer, I still have never thought that on the field success will give any school an "inside track" on going to a P5 .... but if it was some sort of tie breaker as in your latest scenario, Apis's assertion works just fine without having to create something in between the FBS and the FCS.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

the g5 will always get screwed

as i said long ago

they should break off and form their own association apart from ncaa

that would take balls and leadership

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

You guys do not get it at all. the AAC is not on G5 level. We are a middle ground between the p5 and crap 4. I dont know what the record ended as, but the AAC more than half way through the season was 12-1 vs the rest of the G4. The one loss came from UCF to FIU. 

My point is, if the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and sun belt want to do that, thats fine. But as Mike Aresco, I would know my leagues worth is above the sun belt. Let this sink in, UCF, ECU, Memphis, and Houston all left an established C USA just to be in a conference with USF, UConn, Temple, and Cincy. Certainly we can yank Marshall, Boise, and Air Force while dropping Tulane to create the premier middle teir conference.

So my point is, the AAC can bridge the gap between the P5 and G4, and has a chance to have a team make a playoff in chaotic years. Im content in this conference, without a 'G5 championship' that you guys lump us with. If I were Mike Aresco, id drive that point home that we are not G5, and pick up programs that will emphasize that statement. It would also show we can pick up anybody we want. Just my 2 cents

leave it to a californian to make sense

Missing your point because you did a pretty bad job of making it with your initial blanket statement ... and now that your point is clearer, I still have never thought that on the field success will give any school an "inside track" on going to a P5 .... but if it was some sort of tie breaker as in your latest scenario, Apis's assertion works just fine without having to create something in between the FBS and the FCS.

If Bowl games were a suitable means of determining the best team then the P5 would have never switched to a playoff format.

You guys do not get it at all. the AAC is not on G5 level. We are a middle ground between the p5 and crap 4. I dont know what the record ended as, but the AAC more than half way through the season was 12-1 vs the rest of the G4. The one loss came from UCF to FIU.

My point is, if the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and sun belt want to do that, thats fine. But as Mike Aresco, I would know my leagues worth is above the sun belt. Let this sink in, UCF, ECU, Memphis, and Houston all left an established C USA just to be in a conference with USF, UConn, Temple, and Cincy. Certainly we can yank Marshall, Boise, and Air Force while dropping Tulane to create the premier middle teir conference.

So my point is, the AAC can bridge the gap between the P5 and G4, and has a chance to have a team make a playoff in chaotic years. Im content in this conference, without a 'G5 championship' that you guys lump us with. If I were Mike Aresco, id drive that point home that we are not G5, and pick up programs that will emphasize that statement. It would also show we can pick up anybody we want. Just my 2 cents

Just because the AAC had a good year this year does not mean it has distanced itself from any of the other G5.  How exactly are we not considered G5?

Further, If I recall Boise and Air Force already declined membership in the AAC.   

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If Bowl games were a suitable means of determining the best team then the P5 would have never switched to a playoff format.

Obviously, you think having a G5 playoff is a good idea and no one is going to be able to change your mind.

I just can't fathom a system that does not allow all of it participants a chance at the highest prize and am suprised it is allowed to continue.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

I just can't fathom a system that does not allow all of it participants a chance at the highest prize and am suprised it is allowed to continue.

All participants do have a chance ... There are plenty of systems where all participants have a chance but the chance for some is infinitesimal. Sucks but it's reality.