• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC Championship game question

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

The Mrs just asked what would have happened had Navy been the Western Champ.  Would they have played the Championship game and then still played Army?  Can't imagine them NOT playing that game.  That just seems wrong to have won your conference championship and then have to go out and play the most important game of your year the next week.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,095
  • Days Won:  1

Nope you're correct.  Army Navy is the week after and would still be played.

My gut tells me you won't see The game a week later now that Navy's in a conference.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Both academies have already stated under no circumstances are they going to change the date of their game. But you never know...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,630
  • Days Won:  6

Now that Navy is in a conference they will need to move that game earlier.  What if Navy had run the table with high scoring impressive wins?  How could the playoff committee have ranked them with a game to go?  What if they get in the playoff (I know very long shot) and then loose to Army?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Now that Navy is in a conference they will need to move that game earlier.  What if Navy had run the table with high scoring impressive wins?  How could the playoff committee have ranked them with a game to go?  What if they get in the playoff (I know very long shot) and then loose to Army?

Just make a conditional bid. Navy would be 4th unless they lost to Army in which case the 5th team would replace them. It wouldn't be that hard to come up with a solution. Let the 4th and 5th teams practice in the meantime and a few bowls have to wait an extra week.

Not that big of a concession to make to let the academies keep their tradition -- we've already ruined all the other in place ones.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Just make a conditional bid. Navy would be 4th unless they lost to Army in which case the 5th team would replace them. It wouldn't be that hard to come up with a solution. Let the 4th and 5th teams practice in the meantime and a few bowls have to wait an extra week.

Not that big of a concession to make to let the academies keep their tradition -- we've already ruined all the other in place ones.

is there a list a traditional rivalries killed by expansion of the past few years?  

Just a few I thought of...

Black and Blue bowl (USM v. Memphis)

Backyard Brawl (Pitt v. WVA) 

Border War (Kansas v.Missouri)

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

They've already stated that they WILL NOT move the game.  I support that... it's tradition.

In fact, there was a huge backlash when the Playoff Committee told them to move the game or else, in the small chance they became eligible, they will not be selected to be in the playoffs, since the date of playoff selection is before the Army-Navy game. 

The backlash and support of the Academies' stand caused the committee to change their mind, so that in the case that one of the Academies is under contention to be in the playoffs, they will move their decision date to AFTER the Army-Navy game.

EDIT:

Link (before anyone asks): http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/playoff-committee-will-wait-army-navy-game-if-necessary

Edited by Dogma

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

is there a list a traditional rivalries killed by expansion of the past few years?  

Just a few I thought of...

Black and Blue bowl (USM v. Memphis)

Backyard Brawl (Pitt v. WVA) 

Border War (Kansas v.Missouri)

Nebraska v Oklahoma

Nebraska v Mizzou

Texas v Texas A&M

Penn State v Pitt

Are a few other big ones that were lost.