• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We might be getting lucky again

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

We have had some bad bad mojo over the past 5-6 years.  We lost CJL in an ugly way, we lost Leroy Selmon (our patron saint) and we lost out on the conference realignment shuffle.

If you were following the program from the beginning like many of us were, it was a stark contrast to the team that was born in a trailer and climbed its way out of AA football into the Big East and #2 in the country.  

In the early years, everything fell into our laps and perhaps the fans even began to get a bit entitled.  The past 5-6 was a purification process and I congratulate those of us who have made it.  After all, it is easy to root for a winning team and program but what we have gone through has really been a test.  

That being said, I think the fever has passed and we are starting a new era.  We are going to be good next year as you all know.  I think I see at least 10 wins on the schedule if we play like we have in the last couple of weeks.  More if we improve in the off season.

The talent we have (and are getting) coupled with the soft schedule means we should possibly win 20+ games in the next couple of years.  

Here is my uniformed assessment of what is going on. Harlan is trying to get us in a bigger league. He wants us in the Big 12 or ACC or whatever.  I think one of their many requirements is a commitment by the athletic department, fans and donors.

For that reason, yes, I believe we are building an OCS.  I think Harlan wants to guarantee those wins 20+ wins and the excitement that comes with them and the best way to do that is keep CWT.  Doing what it takes to keep CWT also shows commitment.  He might also be able to sell Willie on staying if we make a jump to a new league.  It would give USF an actual path to a championship and allows us to compensate him.

I think the timing is right for us, we are beginning to peak at the right time again.  Next year if we are winning, have fans at the games, building a first class OCS (along with the other upgrades) we will look attractive again to the big boys.

I feel us getting our mojo back and are in for a fun couple of years.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Slow up. Don't get me wrong, I am more happy that USF and CWT have succeeded than anyone else, but remember-this is just one year. 2016 is a different season. 2017 is a different season. For all we know, Flowers, Mack, or another key player could get injured in the offseason or next year. You worry that we could have off the field problems and we'd be forced to suspend someone. 

2015 has been a great year, but it's just ONE year. Harlan will do what he can this offseason, but there's still a lot of work to be done in the next year or two to show we're worthy of a P5 spot. And most of that comes down to butts in seats, eyeballs on TV, and our facilities. Buildings aren't cheap either.

Slow up. Don't get me wrong, I am more happy that USF and CWT have succeeded than anyone else, but remember-this is just one year. 2016 is a different season. 2017 is a different season. For all we know, Flowers, Mack, or another key player could get injured in the offseason or next year. You worry that we could have off the field problems and we'd be forced to suspend someone. 

2015 has been a great year, but it's just ONE year. Harlan will do what he can this offseason, but there's still a lot of work to be done in the next year or two to show we're worthy of a P5 spot. And most of that comes down to butts in seats, eyeballs on TV, and our facilities. Buildings aren't cheap either.

You are correct, I am looking ahead.  I am tired of being a cautious pessimist.

All the pieces are in place and if luck or mojo exists I see ours changing - at just the right time.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

You are correct, I am looking ahead.  I am tired of being a cautious pessimist.

All the pieces are in place and if luck or mojo exists I see ours changing - at just the right time.  

So come to the dark side of the cautious realist. It's a good time.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

How is a cautious realist, that is a USF fan, different from a cautious pessimist?  

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

It all starts at the administrative level.

That is really no fun.  I think if you look at our schedule next year, you do not see a lot of losses either.  We will have bigger crowds at the games and have a decent chance of making the AAC CCG.  Temple and Navy are rebuilding and Memphis is losing its coach.  Cinci will be on the road and looking for revenge but ECU is home and we own them.

If we play like we have been playing we will win 10 games - that is realistic, no?

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

I'm sure UCF thought they were going to be called up to the Bigs when they won the Fiesta Bowl.  Then they fell off the cliff.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I agree with the enthusiasm, the feeling that the years of doom and gloom are behind us, and that Harlan was the right guy for the job.

I hope and pray that we can build off the ending of 2015 and that this is truly a trend, and a glimpse of the future. That we are finally DOING SOMETHING!

GO BULLS!

I'm sure UCF thought they were going to be called up to the Bigs when they won the Fiesta Bowl.  Then they fell off the cliff.

But look how much fun she was having!