• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF @SJU, Sunday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,697
  • Days Won:  7

SJU's top scorer had 27 on 19 shots. Courtney 28 on 27 shots with 10 from the three point line.

The problem this year is glaringly obvious. They look for her to score points way to much. This isn't last year no one is surprised by her anymore. They are going to stop her and the rest of the team better learn to step it up. They also again loose the first quarter. Some ole some ole every game. Getting old quick. Slow start with a ton of turnovers, tons missed shots, and no one executing transition D. Basic things that good teams don't struggle with.

Not sure where they will finish this season, I had high hopes for them. From what I've seen that Baylor game was a fluke. Love my bulls but we aren't very good this year. Long season ahead so hopefully they figure it out. 

I disagree and I think you'll be on the wrong side with that statement. These girls will be just fine this season. CJF and these girls are winners..don't be surprised to see in a few games from now SJU should be in the top 25 or at least receiving votes. It was a legitimate win for SJU on an unusually weak performance by the Bulls. I'm not worried.

• Upvote 1

Guest PCBull14

I disagree and I think you'll be on the wrong side with that statement. These girls will be just fine this season. CJF and these girls are winners..don't be surprised to see in a few games from now SJU should be in the top 25 or at least receiving votes. It was a legitimate win for SJU on an unusually weak performance by the Bulls. I'm not worried.

Unusually weak....maybe last year my friend. The one good performance we have had is the last three quarters against Baylor. A game when yet again the Bulls come out weak and lose the 1st quarter. I'll give you that one being the level of team, but I will not give them this game. These are the games good teams win, the games top 25 teams don't lose.

This team is not playing well this year. As I said long season ahead, but we have a LONG way to go to even think about the NCAA tournament. We don't look dominate against anyone we have played and we haven't played world beaters outside of Baylor. Even Jacksonville keep it close for most of the game, the numbers don't lie.

All the issues I noticed in the opener against Jacksonville are the same issues commented on in the broadcast today. Five games and little improvement in even the basic skill of ball handling.  We are not playing like even a  top 50 team right now. Maybe harsh but it's the truth. I'm worried about this team, not living up to the hype.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

SJU's top scorer had 27 on 19 shots. Courtney 28 on 27 shots with 10 from the three point line.

The problem this year is glaringly obvious. They look for her to score points way to much. This isn't last year no one is surprised by her anymore. They are going to stop her and the rest of the team better learn to step it up. They also again loose the first quarter. Some ole some ole every game. Getting old quick. Slow start with a ton of turnovers, tons missed shots, and no one executing transition D. Basic things that good teams don't struggle with.

Not sure where they will finish this season, I had high hopes for them. From what I've seen that Baylor game was a fluke. Love my bulls but we aren't very good this year. Long season ahead so hopefully they figure it out. 

They also didn't commit nearly as many turnovers and played much better defense. Our biggest issues are giving up easy looks on the defensive side, which can be fixed as the season goes along, and turnovers, which can also be fixed. Courtney took most of those shots at the end of the game when she was draining them, whereas the St. Johns player didn't have to shoot at will during the final stretch to keep her team in it, she could slow down her play and take a better shot. I believe that all of this will be fixed soon by Jose, and on the end the end the tournament is a lot more important that the first couple of games.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

based on the buildup this team got in the off season and comparing it with their performance so far, they have underperformed.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

based on the buildup this team got in the off season and comparing it with their performance so far, they have underperformed.  

I think CJF would agree with you.  And he knows the other players need to get more shots.  Kitty has not shot the ball like we had heard or like she did in Spain.  If she adapts to the game speed over here and calms down we may be okay.  Courtney is the only one on the team that can create on her own.  The rest need to be open/come off screens for their looks.  I have a lot of faith in CJF and think he will get this ship righted.  We were at the men's game so haven't watched this yet.  Did that girl from Texas get any time on the floor?  

Unusually weak....maybe last year my friend. The one good performance we have had is the last three quarters against Baylor. A game when yet again the Bulls come out weak and lose the 1st quarter. I'll give you that one being the level of team, but I will not give them this game. These are the games good teams win, the games top 25 teams don't lose.

This team is not playing well this year. As I said long season ahead, but we have a LONG way to go to even think about the NCAA tournament. We don't look dominate against anyone we have played and we haven't played world beaters outside of Baylor. Even Jacksonville keep it close for most of the game, the numbers don't lie.

All the issues I noticed in the opener against Jacksonville are the same issues commented on in the broadcast today. Five games and little improvement in even the basic skill of ball handling.  We are not playing like even a  top 50 team right now. Maybe harsh but it's the truth. I'm worried about this team, not living up to the hype.

This team is nearly identical to last season's team..the starting five on any given day is the same. A basketball player doesn't simply forget how to dribble the basketball. We have not regressed in skill level. I view it as we are simply in a rut that has unfortunately occurred at the beginning of the season after such a fantastic season. It does not mean we are doomed and suddenly cannot play basketball anymore. This is where coaching steps in to bring the basic skills back to the forefront in practice and this is where a coach like CJF shines, proving why he is the most successful coach at USF. If you're fear is that the same girls who were so good last year suddenly don't know how to bounce a ball, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. This team will re-gel and will be just fine. I am not worried. I'll eat crow if in 10 games from now we are 5-5 and the problems still persist. We'll likely go 8-2 or 9-1 over the next 10 games if all is right in the world & we will still find ourselves in our new perennial #2 spot behind UCONN in the AAC standings.

Edited by USFBulls12
Typo

USF WBB drops to #24

I'm surprised we held on. We should be fine moving forward into the UCONN game down the line. Tough schedule until then but nothing these girls can't handle. Go Bulls!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

If you mean the Kenyan Warioba....negative, so far she's a bust.  Agree with you on Laska.  IMO..Stringfield can "create" on her own.

That was the girl I was thinking of.  And you are right about Stringfield. She penetrates as well as anyone on the team.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

That was the girl I was thinking of.  And you are right about Stringfield. She penetrates as well as anyone on the team.

But she also turns the ball over, ALOT.