• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What will make him the greatest?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I agree that this coaching staff might have done more with BJ's skill set, but I seem to remember BJ saying he wanted to be more of a pocket passer.  Not sure whether that originated with him or with the coaches.

I remember that too

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I seem to remember last year that one of the biggest things QF was working on is not to make stupid mistakes and turn the ball over.  He has really done a good job in that category, and his throwing has improved greatly over the start of the season.  He always could run like crazy.  

I loved Blackwell, Grothe, BJ, and even Barnhardt, but if he continues his progress QF may become the best of all of them.  BTW, Blackwell played in one pre season game for the Jets and did well.  Like BJ so far he really didn't get a chance even though he played well when he was in there.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Flowers has already had the greatest season in USF history by a QB.

- Set record for most passing TD's by a QB (21 vs. only 8 INT's)

- Tied record for most rushing TD's by a QB (10, tied with Grothe)

- Set record for most total TD's by a QB (31)

- Set record for most rushing yards by a QB.

And this is with either 1 or 2 games to go.  Possible Championship Game and bowl game.  Has a chance to have between 35 - 40 total TD's overall. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Absolutely .... but understand completely now what he saw in QF and why he rushed to try and get him in there.  

Also, never now how much the live exposure last year may have speeded up his learning curve this year. 

It's worth consideration, absolutely, how much the experience last season helped him in this 1, however, you could also argue it maybe sped up his learning curve by maybe a game or 2 (as he really didnt do or get to do much last season) and that his 2-5th seasons would have been far more valuable than 1-4. I tend to believe what happened in previous seasons has a marginal effect on what happens in the current one, long term injuries aside.

Like Tags or no, there's little argument he mangled the QB situation badly up until this season. 

Edited by cambodia36

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

Flowers has already had the greatest season in USF history by a QB.

- Set record for most passing TD's by a QB (21 vs. only 8 INT's)

- Tied record for most rushing TD's by a QB (10, tied with Grothe)

- Set record for most total TD's by a QB (31)

- Set record for most rushing yards by a QB.

And this is with either 1 or 2 games to go.  Possible Championship Game and bowl game.  Has a chance to have between 35 - 40 total TD's overall. 

I figures his resume looked something like that just didn't do the research. If no one has done it better via the records and stats why hasn't he earned the crown? I guess some just want some hardware before they anoint him. 

It's worth consideration, absolutely, how much the experience last season helped him in this 1, however, you could also argue it maybe sped up his learning curve by maybe a game or 2 (as he really didnt do or get to do much last season) and that his 2-5th seasons would have been far more valuable than 1-4. I tend to believe what happened in previous seasons has a marginal effect on what happens in the current one, long term injuries aside.

Like Tags or no, there's little argument he mangled the QB situation badly up until this season. 

Looking back it's obvious, he had very little to work with, White wasn't working, Bench was too careless with the ball, and Flowers was too green.  I do remember at the preseason pep rally, CWT told me that Flowers was going to be special.

I think he could have Holtz and staff did a terrible job of putting him in a position to succeed 

Trying to make him a pocket passer wtf

This was maybe the dumbest coaching move this side of making Aaron Lynch drop back in zone coverage most of the time. 

Not to mention BJ had a season where his most trustworthy receivers were a true freshman walk-on (Stephen Bravo-Brown), a converted QB (Evan Landi and Landi's hair) and half a season of Dontavia Bogan. Holtz also later on in his career had BJ throwing fade routes to Derrick Hopkins, who is about as tall as the garden gnome in my neighbors yard, 

I'm not saying BJ is hands down the best, but he deserved a much better fate than 3 years of Skip

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636

What impresses me most is that Flowers didn't do well in highschool as a QB. Sure he was electric, but stats-wise, he was mediocre.

Flowers had something like a 47% completion percentage with the same number of tds to int. something like 14 td to 13 ints his senior year.

Now he is a 60% completion with a 20 to 8 td/int ratio.... I give props to CWT for bringing this out. That's really impressive.  

Looking back it's obvious, he had very little to work with, White wasn't working, Bench was too careless with the ball, and Flowers was too green.  I do remember at the preseason pep rally, CWT told me that Flowers was going to be special.

White was Willie's original boy though. The guy he envisioned turning around and handing the ball off 60 times a game in Willie Ball. Not saying White could run this offense, he's about as mobile as my dining room table, but after pulling Flowers' shirt, he proceeded to have him come in and run a couple read-option plays a game, then finally started him occasionally, only to wind up pulling him for White again. By then the season was a lost cause anyway. 

The forum i was on the last few years people were white-hot at Willie for this decision (and doing the same thing to White the season before) 

No doubt, burning Flower's redshirt was probably a mistake.  But I think at that point he was trying anything to get decent QB play.