• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

What will make him the greatest?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Days Won:  6

What did Blackwell do that makes him almost untouchable. I'm too lazy to research at the moment and will take your word on him. 

I don't think he is untouchable.  He was a lot like Flowers but I recall thinking Grothe was our best QB.  There is always a bias towards the latest player but Grothe went up against tougher competition.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  141
  • Days Won:  0

With FSU on the schedule at home next year, the table is set for Flowers.  Grothe beat Auburn and then WVU in his run, but then couldn't carry the success into the second half of the year.  Daniels beat FSU and also had a slide later in the season.  Beat FSU and lead to maintain the intensity to the end.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I'm just curious as to what would make Quinton Flowers the greatest USF quarterback so far in our short history? He's breaking and setting records left and right. He's put us in position for our first conference championship game and he carries this team. I supported him from the get go but I don't believe anyone aside from Taggart seen this coming. What are your thoughts? 

QF has definitely turned the corner and I for one will say I am happy to see him succeed at QB.  He seems to protect against turnovers more than any QB since Grothe.  I think Blackwell (my personal favorite), Grothe, and Daniels lead him in the "greatness" category but only because they had a full four years at the helm.  As long as he stays healthy and their remains consistency in the offense, I don't see any reason he won't surpass all those listed above.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

We seem to always have a great or terrible QB don't we? Not a lot in between. I think Q is going to be the 4th great QB to come thru that will get a good 3 years of starting. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Have we ever had an offense specifically designed for our QB to the extent this one is?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  2

Don't think we will ever have a QB like Marquel Blackwell. 

what does this even mean?  Blackwell was a 1aa QB.  He was good for the competition he played against and had some marquee moments but he was small, not overly fast and waaaay behind Flowers, Grothe and BJ from a talent perspective.

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

in 13' we where 2-10 then the next year we where 4-8 and now 8-4... Next year we may be 15-0 and national champions. The champ game is going to be at ray jay.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

what does this even mean?  Blackwell was a 1aa QB.  He was good for the competition he played against and had some marquee moments but he was small, not overly fast and waaaay behind Flowers, Grothe and BJ from a talent perspective.

Blackwell was good enough to get a look with the Jets.  Didn't stick, but that's more than Grothe did.

If I had to pick, taking stats, key wins, guts and leadership, I'd go with Grothe (who really only had 3 seasons, as his 4th ended with an ACL tear, just before BJ's famous debut v FSU).

Too early to anoint QF as the GOAT, but I'd say his improvement in 1 season is the best by far...maybe of any player at USF.  He has a great stable of backs, and some reliable TEs.  WR play improved as well, which fed QF's success (and vice versa).

What I do know is this team has more depth than most USF squads, and I can't remember the last time we finished this strong.  AW has to be ambivalent...great success, but also makes his quest to be our starter a lot higher climb.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

QF has definitely turned the corner and I for one will say I am happy to see him succeed at QB.  He seems to protect against turnovers more than any QB since Grothe.  I think Blackwell (my personal favorite), Grothe, and Daniels lead him in the "greatness" category but only because they had a full four years at the helm.  As long as he stays healthy and their remains consistency in the offense, I don't see any reason he won't surpass all those listed above.

You do know that Grothe was a turnover machine, right?  Most interceptions for a career, averaging over 13 INTs a season.  

That said I love the way Matt Grothe played

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Career statistics

Grothe 52 TDs - 44 INT - 23 Rushing TDs
BJ 52 TDs - 39 INT - 25 Rushing TDs

only thing I could find for Blackwell was 67 passing touchdowns.