• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

The winner of the West is lucky

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

That's Merriam-Webster's definition.

You obviously read a lot into that member's comment to get there.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

That's Merriam-Webster's definition.

You obviously read a lot into that member's comment to get there.

What type of definition did you want?

Probably a bit off topic, especially following a great end of the season but I would be shocked to hear many folks in USF community condone equating a term used to define a group of people with a generic negative. It was in popular vernacular of prepubescent boys when I was a child and I presume still remains there today, but I haven't read it anywhere in years. Never heard a coach come out to a post-game conference and say "we played so gay out there today"... maybe we run in different circles. One comment certainly doesn't define a person, but using the term gay in a way to articulate a general "bad thing" is certainly homophobic.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

You're just a little sensitive.  It's okay. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Days Won:  6

You're just a little sensitive.  It's okay. 

I think he is correct is saying something.  

Edited by mark_my_words

Edited by mark_my_words

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,736
  • Days Won:  120

No-- it didn't seem malicious -- it is just one of those words like "retarded" that are being policed out of the vocabulary. It isn't direct hate speech (typically) so much as it attaches negative connotations to homosexuality. There are hundreds of words like this these days and it is a matter of education or showing you are educated by using more descriptive words-- perhaps LAME would have worked or "This sucks". I believe that is what they meant and it would not offend anyone.

My first encounter with this movement happened around 11-12 years old (1976-ish)-- we used to play a game called "Smear the Queer"-- you throw a ball up in the air-- someone catches it and everyone tries to tackle them after yelling STQ. Once tackled-- throw the ball in the air and repeat. At some point, my neighbors parents must have got tired hearing us yell this and demanded we stop calling the game that. We had to change it to "Kill the Man" (which in retrospect seems much more violent as I type this). I don't think any of us even really knew what a "queer" was at the time.

• Upvote 1

No-- it didn't seem malicious -- it is just one of those words like "retarded" that are being policed out of the vocabulary. It isn't direct hate speech (typically) so much as it attaches negative connotations to homosexuality. There are hundreds of words like this these days and it is a matter of education or showing you are educated by using more descriptive words-- perhaps LAME would have worked or "This sucks". I believe that is what they meant and it would not offend anyone.

My first encounter with this movement happened around 11-12 years old (1976-ish)-- we used to play a game called "Smear the Queer"-- you throw a ball up in the air-- someone catches it and everyone tries to tackle them after yelling STQ. Once tackled-- throw the ball in the air and repeat. At some point, my neighbors parents must have got tired hearing us yell this and demanded we stop calling the game that. We had to change it to "Kill the Man" (which in retrospect seems much more violent as I type this). I don't think any of us even really knew what a "queer" was at the time.

Well said, and it was not meant malicious.  

We called it "kill the guy with the ball".  It sounds like you are about 3 of 4 years older than me and I never heard it called Smear the Queer.  

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I dominated in Kill The Man With The Ball

I dominated in Kill The Man With The Ball

I loved that game almost as much a Kick the Can.  I would love to play Kill the Guy/Man with the Ball again but I am afraid these days the title might be prophetic. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

When we were forced to change the name it became "Tackle Loco"