• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN Has Lost 7 Million Subscribers The Past Two Years

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

I dropped cable two years ago, I got tired of paying for all the moral and spiritual pollution of which ESPN was also a part.

Edited by lotsofbull99
  • Upvote 1

Guest PCBull14

ESPN has destroyed CFB.  Remember the good ole days where all the if bowls mattered and there was always a shot at winning the title from any of the major bowls depending on who won and lost /by how much.  Keith Jackson calling the games.  Good times

Hopefully you are joking. The old bowl system was a joke. Picking a champion and half the time the so called "MNC" never played the other top teams. What we have now is 20x better then that mess.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

yeah I remember the days when they showed 2 games all weekend long. no thanks. I like being able to watch all the USF away games thanks in large part to espn

At some point, hopefully, we can purchase a package of away games and not have to pay ESPN for the constant PC content month after month.  The loss of subscribers is due to people dumping cable for online entertainment sources but hopefully cable companies will start individual channel subscriptions versus the packages they have now.  I like watching USF away games at LeeRoy Selmon's or Beef's anyway, so I would gladly dump ESPN but right now they are packaged with other channels that the family likes.  

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

ESPN is going nowhere its still and will always be the best option in viewing sports.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I'd bet ESPN today has more exposure with people watching on mobile devices, etc.  more eyeball time people watching ESPN content which means they can still get a lot of advertising dollars.  Cable TV years ago used to cost customers maybe $20/month...now some folks are on cable at $100+ month and they are pulling plug because of cost.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Most of the dropped subscriptions are probably people who don't watch sports anyways. 

I wonder, has ESPN seen an equally sized drop in ratings and viewers too? I bet the lost viewers is less than the dropped subscribers.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

Well, Espn is a mixed bag for me.  College gameday and 30x30 docs are the best in the business.  I don't like the anchors playing up their personal favorite teams, the attention paid to professional teams from the the northeast,  and I do feel like they helped destroy the big east with this P5 nonsense.  That being said, I like tonight's game being on Espn instead of Cbssn...  The announcers on that network have been awful.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

At some point, hopefully, we can purchase a package of away games and not have to pay ESPN for the constant PC content month after month.  The loss of subscribers is due to people dumping cable for online entertainment sources but hopefully cable companies will start individual channel subscriptions versus the packages they have now.  I like watching USF away games at LeeRoy Selmon's or Beef's anyway, so I would gladly dump ESPN but right now they are packaged with other channels that the family likes.  

I'd be happy paying the school directly for a season package of games on tv. similar to a season ticket

distributors used to have all the power. now content providers will in the future. espn is nothing more than a distributor

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Most of the dropped subscriptions are probably people who don't watch sports anyways. 

I wonder, has ESPN seen an equally sized drop in ratings and viewers too? I bet the lost viewers is less than the dropped subscribers.

I'd be curious to see these numbers, as well.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

the bubble in live sports contracts is bursting. ours was low to begin with so I don't think it will effect us as much as when the big boys start to renew

It will effect expansion. Why would P5 expand now if the TV contracts don't go up more? Why add more mouths to feed?