• Join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other Bulls fans!

ESPN Has Lost 7 Million Subscribers The Past Two Years

Rocky Style

By Clay TravisNov 25, 2015 at 10:29p ET
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/espn-has-lost-7-million-subscribers-the-past-two-years-112515

According to a 10K filing from Disney today, which you can read here, ESPN now has 92 million subscribers. That's a troubling number because just two years ago ESPN reported it had 99 million subscribers in the same 10k filing. The last time ESPN had 92 million subscribers was 2006, so the past two years have erased the previous seven years of subscriber growth. These filings are important because it's the first public acknowledgement of ESPN's massive subscriber losses. Given that the average ESPN subscriber pays $6.61 a channel per month, this means that ESPN has lost somewhere in the neighborhood of $550 million in subscriber revenue per year since 2013.

Edited by Rocky Style

Members do not see this ad, Register

By Clay TravisNov 25, 2015 at 10:29p ET
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/espn-has-lost-7-million-subscribers-the-past-two-years-112515

According to a 10K filing from Disney today, which you can read here, ESPN now has 92 million subscribers. That's a troubling number because just two years ago ESPN reported it had 99 million subscribers in the same 10k filing. The last time ESPN had 92 million subscribers was 2006, so the past two years have erased the previous seven years of subscriber growth. These filings are important because it's the first public acknowledgement of ESPN's massive subscriber losses. Given that the average ESPN subscriber pays $6.61 a channel per month, this means that ESPN has lost somewhere in the neighborhood of $550 million in subscriber revenue per year since 2013.

Couldn't happen to a more worthless organization.  Once they have separate channel subscriptions from cable providers versus the prepackaged channel groups, ESPN will lose many, many more subscribers.

• Upvote 1

Agree. I simply do without. Maybe I don't get every game that I might watch if I had cable, but there's plenty for free over the air.

Now, if it were straight-up ppv I would consider that, but I'm not paying anymore for 200 channels of junk.

• Upvote 3

How does this impact the P5 going forward? I also wonder if this means AAC will not get a bump in the next contract. 

the bubble in live sports contracts is bursting. ours was low to begin with so I don't think it will effect us as much as when the big boys start to renew

ESPN has destroyed CFB.  Remember the good ole days where all the if bowls mattered and there was always a shot at winning the title from any of the major bowls depending on who won and lost /by how much.  Keith Jackson calling the games.  Good times

yeah I remember the days when they showed 2 games all weekend long. no thanks. I like being able to watch all the USF away games thanks in large part to espn

ESPN has had huge success, now cable companies are dropping them. I don't think it's clear yet if ESPN has overpaid for content, but we will know the next round of contract talks.

ESPN did make a really dumb move with the longhorn network... paying Texas 15 million dollars a year, when really Texas should be paying them for the exposure. 

• Upvote 1