• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart: Who is that guy?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I have no problem if he didn't know who the interim UCF coach was or what his name was? I mean, how do you even game plan for this game? Watch tape? Tape of what?

Do you just tie the legs of scout team members to cinder blocks and make them all wear blindfolds?

:roflmao: Just match up and punch them in the mouth every play.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725

Can anyone copy and paste that article? I am out of clicks for the month.

Edited by ssgCraigO

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

CWT is an offensive mastermind 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

Here you go

A series of recent sound bites, from commentators and coaches alike, has ignited speculation over who has orchestrated the Bulls' staggering offensive resurgence.

Consider this snippet from CBS Sports Network analystCorey Chavous during the Bulls' 44-23 rout of Temple: "Danny Hope has to be excited, (USF's) offensive coordinator, with what he's put together and how they're executing."

Or this comment from the same game: "I think (Hope) has kept (Owls defensive coordinator) Phil Snow and this Temple defense off balance. He's just called a masterful game."

Or this one, from interim UCF coach Danny Barrett during Monday afternoon's American Athletic Conference coaches teleconference: "I think Willie (Taggart) is no longer calling the plays; Coach Hope has done a good job as far as getting their quarterback (Quinton) Flowers to make great decisions with the football."

All hearty — albeit slightly misguided — endorsements. On Tuesday, Taggart said he remains the primary play-caller, triggering an amusing sequence of dialogue from his weekly news conference:

Taggart: "Where did you get that one from?"

Reporter: "Danny Barrett said it (Monday)."

Taggart: "Who is that guy?"

Reporter: "The UCF interim coach."

Taggart: "Ohhh. How would he know?"

"I'm still calling the plays," Taggart continued. "But our coaches do a great job of coordinating those plays and getting them together."

Taggart's assertion hardly minimizes the transfusion of energy and innovation provided by the influx of new assistants (five in all, including Hope as a co-offensive coordinator with David Reaves). When the postscripts are written on this surreal — and possibly unprecedented — season, the overhauled staff will prevail as a prominent theme.

Taggart suggested as much — for the umpteenth time — Tuesday. "To get out of this funk, we needed a bunch of positive energy around here and we got that," he said.

"I think the results that we're getting from our players is what they see among our football staff. They see how close our staff is now and how those guys care about each other and work well together, and now all they're doing is emulating how we are as a staff."

Call it chemistry or cohesion, symmetry or synergy.

Just call Taggart the play-caller.

"Again, if I need something I ask one of those (co-coordinators)," he said. "But I think we have a nice system going now and we're all doing a great job of working well with each other."

ODDS AND ENDS: Four days after its three-point loss at No. 5 Baylor, the Bulls women's basketball team (2-1) moved up a spot — from 19th to 18th — in the Associated Press rankings. USF hosts Butler tonight. … Junior volleyball standout Dakota Hampton made the AAC weekly honor roll for her double double (21 kills, 16 digs) in Sunday's 3-1 win against Memphis in the Bulls' home finale. USF is 10-20 (7-11 AAC) entering the season's final week.

AUDIBLE: "South Florida, as we're finding out, wasn't a bad football team. I knew that coming in. I knew South Florida was fixin' to get really good. They may win and go to their conference championship game now. They've beat really good teams." — Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher, on the progression of his offense after some early struggles (FSU topped the Bulls 34-14 in early September).

Contact Joey Knight atjknight@tampabay.com. Follow

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725

Appreciate it Nupe.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

What else.do you say to that seriously... like UCFs coaches know jack.