• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fuente - VT

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Pat Forde betting Justin Fuente will be Virginia Tech's next head coach. 

Virginia Tech (9) – Leaving: Frank Beamer. Arriving: The Dash is betting the mortgage on Memphis coach Justin Fuente, and betting that it happens quickly next week. Word is that athletic director Whit Babcock has his man, and has for a while now, and Fuente is that man. He’s done a remarkable job at previously moribund Memphis, going 18-6 over the past two seasons. It’s possible that tumbling dominoes at LSU and points elsewhere (namely Florida State) unspring this, but unlikely. A Fuente hiring would also keep Rich Rodriguez in place at Arizona.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-yard-dash--coaching-carousel-edition-072320394-ncaaf.html

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Babcock should be familiar with Fuente, since he was Cinci's prior AD. I'd like for the AAC to hang onto its coaches, so that the conference can continue its streak. With the G5/P5 gap growing larger, I don't think the money is there to keep guys like Fuente, Taggart, Rhule, and Herman around, once they start smelling success.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

Babcock should be familiar with Fuente, since he was Cinci's prior AD. I'd like for the AAC to hang onto its coaches, so that the conference can continue its streak. With the G5/P5 gap growing larger, I don't think the money is there to keep guys like Fuente, Taggart, Rhule, and Herman around, once they start smelling success.

I think of all the programs in the AAC, Memphis is the best equipped money wise to do it, though  ...

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Must be a huge chunk of money. Weren't there reports of more tha $3mil a year to stay at Memphis?

Can't blame him if he bolts. 

I think of all the programs in the AAC, Memphis is the best equipped money wise to do it, though  ...

Looks like it's Houston. Allegedly offering Herman approximately $3M a year to stay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/houston-and-coach-tom-herman-agree-in-principle-to-contract-193146385.html

Looks like it's Houston. Allegedly offering Herman approximately $3M a year to stay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/houston-and-coach-tom-herman-agree-in-principle-to-contract-193146385.html

Did Memphis offer Fuente anything to stay?

If Fed-Ex had anything to do with it, I'd guess yes. To be a fly on that wall during negotiations.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Earlier this month, Memphis reportedly offered Fuente a $3 million annual contract to stay at the school. The coach was in the first season of a five-year extension that paid $1.4 million a year with a buyout of $500,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/11/29/virginia-tech-hires-justin-fuente-from-memphis-to-replace-frank-beamer/

Earlier this month, Memphis reportedly offered Fuente a $3 million annual contract to stay at the school. The coach was in the first season of a five-year extension that paid $1.4 million a year with a buyout of $500,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/11/29/virginia-tech-hires-justin-fuente-from-memphis-to-replace-frank-beamer/

Yeah, I thought Memphis had about as deep a pockets as anybody in conference. The VT wasn't for much more was it?